A Request for a Blessing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Request for a Blessing

Post by Aegyptus on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:18 pm

Somewhere in the Sinai, a pack of jackals observes a small antelope, waiting for the right time to strike. They look over at the horizon and see a man riding in the front among the sand dunes, followed by hundreds if not thousands of soldiers. Quickly, they grow closer and closer. The ground begins to tremble. By this point, the antelope is long gone. The jackals look at each other unassuredly, then look at the legions one more time before fleeing. The banners of Aegyptus fly high in the sky.

Somewhere entirely different, a ship docks in a large, lively city, and is immediately attacked by the smell of spices and foods. An elderly man descends from the ship, leaning on a cane. He wears the clothing of a priest. He is accompanied by a guard and an aide. It is Patriarch Philotheos, who has arrived from Egypt. Not too long later, he arrives at the Ecumenical Council where he is met by the other members.

Once they settle down, Philotheos speaks up. "Brothers of the Cross, I have come today on behalf of King Demetrius the First, to request your blessing." He pauses. "His Grace believes that it would be wise to expand Aegyptus into the western coast of Arabia, to spread Christianity and cement its presence in those lands. He believes that if this does not occur now, the religion of Islam will spread beyond our control. What say you to this?" He stops again, awaiting the response of the others.
Aegyptus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Request for a Blessing

Post by Hellas on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 am

Ecumenical Patriarch Lysander

"Patriarch Philotheos, I welcome you back to Constantinople.

This is an interesting proposal, my brothers. A strike near the heart of the Saracens.
A proposal, if properly acted upon, could topple the currently divided and weakened Saracen lords.

Or, if  mishandled, could awaken an army of angry citizens, and a scheming Sultan who may be able to unite these displeased peoples under a banner of pushing Christianity out of Arabia, and all of Africa.

My question is this, His Majesty, King Demetrius, newly crowned, will wish to solidify his place as not only the first, but one of the greatest Christian sovereigns of Egypt.
If executed right, would earn him his place among the likes of Scipio, Alexander, and Hannibal.
Do you believe that if approved, His Majesty could protect Christendom in Arabia and Africa from retaliation?

I open up this issue to my fellow Patriarchs to discuss and question freely."
Hellas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:38 am

Patriarch Matthias Ioannidis

"There is another matter of concern, brother. Philotheos, rumor has reached my ear that the Hebrews of Egypt are being subjected to fresh abuses. It can be assured that if I have heard of it Antioch, King Yitzchak has assuredly heard like wise in Jerusalem. Now there is no great love between the Hebrews and Moslems these days but there is a sort of mutual tolerance. If a Christian King who is unfriendly to the Jews of his realm attacks Moslem lands, in which there are Jews enough to be of concern, and which lay beside Hebrew lands, it may drive the Hebrew and the Moslem together in alliance against a common enemy. How can King Demetrius assure that he will not provoke so unholy an alliance, one of sufficient strength to assuredly halt the campaign, if not drive him deep into his own lands?"
House of Judah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top