The Pharaoh's Court

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:09 pm



"Hark! These are the words of Sehetepibre of the Old Dynasties:

'The King is Ka.
His utterance is Abundance.
The one whom he brought up will be somebody.
He is Khnum for all limbs,
The Begetter of the begotten.
He is Bastet who protects the Two Lands.
The one who praises him will be protected by his arm.
He is Sekhmet against those who disobey his orders.'


"Bow down to the Son of Ra; Mighty Host of the Merciful Horus; Lord of Two Lands; Vulture of Upper Egypt and Cobra of Lower Egypt, Ruler-Priest Amyrtaeus the First!"

The man stood tall and watched as those gathered around him bowed. He then sat down, flail and crook  in hand. The ruler was wearing the Crowns of Upper and Lower Egypt, a fine tunic;and many charms and amulets.

List of characters:
Amyrtaeus I, Pharaoh, 62 years old, Pagan (Egypt)
Amethu, Heir to the throne, 28 years old, Pagan (Egypt)
Demetrius, Prince, 20 years old, Pagan (Egypt)
Anai, Princess, 21 years old, Orthodox (FREE)
Ese, Princess, 19 years old, Pagan (FREE)
Lucra, Princess, 16 years old, Orthodox (FREE)

Sekhemre, Military General and Advisor, 40 - 45 years old, Pagan (FREE)
Onouphrios, Economic Advisor, 35 - 40 years old, Orthodox (FREE)
Phnouti, Science Advisor, 35 - 40 years old, Orthodox (FREE)
Akoris, Translator, 25 - 30 years old, Pagan (FREE)
avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

An Eastern Ambassador arrives

Post by The Shi Empire on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:54 pm



Arriving in the Capital of the Egyptian Empire was small diplomatic mission of about 15 Chinese. Containing the Ambassador Li Ming alongside his personal guard, a merchant and a translator. The merchants and ambassador wouldn't be able to speak Latin or Egyptian, hence the translators. With some hopes they would pick up some form of Egyptian in terms of language and trading goods. The translator would stand for hours trying to gain entry to the city, finally, before sunset they where permitted to enter, and went to find themselves the nearist tavern for the night, which again would prove an ordeal.

The next morning they set out for the Castle of the ruler, which could prove unsuccessful considering only one could speak Latin out of the whole group and nobody knew any form of Egyptian. But overall, this was down to the ruler, not them.
avatar
The Shi Empire

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:03 pm

The Shi Empire wrote:

Arriving in the Capital of the Egyptian Empire was small diplomatic mission of about 15 Chinese. Containing the Ambassador Li Ming alongside his personal guard, a merchant and a translator. The merchants and ambassador wouldn't be able to speak Latin or Egyptian, hence the translators. With some hopes they would pick up some form of Egyptian in terms of language and trading goods. The translator would stand for hours trying to gain entry to the city, finally, before sunset they where permitted to enter, and went to find themselves the nearist tavern for the night, which again would prove an ordeal.

The next morning they set out for the Castle of the ruler, which could prove unsuccessful considering only one could speak Latin out of the whole group and nobody knew any form of Egyptian. But overall, this was down to the ruler, not them.

A large group of guards came to meet the diplomatic mission, accompanied by a group of translators, the leader of which was a man called Akoris. He walked up to the envoy, two guardsmen at his side. He decided to speak in Latin, as it was a fairly common language and he didn't know where these men came from.

"Please identify yourself, visitors. Where do you come from and for what purpose are you here?"


avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by The Shi Empire on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Egypt II wrote:

A large group of guards came to meet the diplomatic mission, accompanied by a group of translators, the leader of which was a man called Akoris. He walked up to the envoy, two guardsmen at his side. He decided to speak in Latin, as it was a fairly common language and he didn't know where these men came from.

"Please identify yourself, visitors. Where do you come from and for what purpose are you here?"



The translator steps forward, "We come from the far north east. We come from The Dynasty of Shi, originally from the distant lands of known as China." After hearing what the ambassador had to say, the translator spoke again, "We wish to request an audience with your ruler in hopes of establishing diplomatic relations with this country."
avatar
The Shi Empire

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:10 am

The Shi Empire wrote:
The translator steps forward, "We come from the far north east. We come from The Dynasty of Shi, originally from the distant lands of known as China." After hearing what the ambassador had to say, the translator spoke again, "We wish to request an audience with your ruler in hopes of establishing diplomatic relations with this country."

The man would look nervous, turning to the guards, speaking in rapid and strong Egyptian. He'd turn to the translator once again. "You are of the far north east.." Akoris would look at the ambassador, though he was speaking to the translator. "Enter, you will be heavily watched." He'd pause. "Show your utmost respect to His Majesty. His son has just passed away."
avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by The Shi Empire on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:43 pm

Egypt II wrote:
The Shi Empire wrote:
The translator steps forward, "We come from the far north east. We come from The Dynasty of Shi, originally from the distant lands of known as China." After hearing what the ambassador had to say, the translator spoke again, "We wish to request an audience with your ruler in hopes of establishing diplomatic relations with this country."

The man would look nervous, turning to the guards, speaking in rapid and strong Egyptian. He'd turn to the translator once again. "You are of the far north east.." Akoris would look at the ambassador, though he was speaking to the translator. "Enter, you will be heavily watched." He'd pause. "Show your utmost respect to His Majesty. His son has just passed away."

After translating what was said back to the ambassador, they gave a nod of agreement and entered. Standing before the Egyptian ruler, they all bowed, then the translator spoke, "We are most pleased to have arrived in your great nation. Your highness, we come from Shi, a state to the north." He said no more, and the ambassador did not speak until they had heard from the ruler himself.
avatar
The Shi Empire

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:58 pm

The Shi Empire wrote:
Egypt II wrote:
The Shi Empire wrote:
The translator steps forward, "We come from the far north east. We come from The Dynasty of Shi, originally from the distant lands of known as China." After hearing what the ambassador had to say, the translator spoke again, "We wish to request an audience with your ruler in hopes of establishing diplomatic relations with this country."

The man would look nervous, turning to the guards, speaking in rapid and strong Egyptian. He'd turn to the translator once again. "You are of the far north east.." Akoris would look at the ambassador, though he was speaking to the translator. "Enter, you will be heavily watched." He'd pause. "Show your utmost respect to His Majesty. His son has just passed away."

After translating what was said back to the ambassador, they gave a nod of agreement and entered. Standing before the Egyptian ruler, they all bowed, then the translator spoke, "We are most pleased to have arrived in your great nation. Your highness, we come from Shi, a state to the north." He said no more, and the ambassador did not speak until they had heard from the ruler himself.

The Pharaoh, Amyrtaeus I, stared at the ambassador coldly. His bloodshot eyes blinked twice after hearing what the translators had to say. He spoke Latin, so he did not need a translation. With a toneless, but powerful voice, he answered. "New Aegyptus welcomes you with open arms. How did you get here, and why have you come?" The Pharaoh had no interest in knowing, but he had never seen these people before. However, they strongly resembled the Hyksos.
avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by House of Judah on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:54 am

Eldad ben Asher ben Yehudah

It had been over a thousand and again years, by the reckoning of the Tanakh, since Moshe had led the people of Yisrael out from Mitzrayim. Now some of God’s chosen people returned as emissaries. Eldad sighed as his caravan passed the boundary between the Suez province of Cybelos and the Pharonic kingdom.

Soon he would arrive in New Kemet, the capital of Egypt, to establish more formal relations between the Pharaoh and King Yitzchak. He looked over at cart loaded with gifts for the Pharaoh as condolence for his lost son. Eldad was as yet still not a father, but he could not conceive of the pain his father would feel if Eldad died before his father did. He had seen it on the faces of some men whose sons died of war or disease.

In the distance, Eldad could make out the walls of the city growing on the horizon as the caravan drew closer to the Nile Delta. Soon he would arrive. Soon.
avatar
House of Judah

Posts : 332
Join date : 2015-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:00 pm

House of Judah wrote:Eldad ben Asher ben Yehudah

It had been over a thousand and again years, by the reckoning of the Tanakh, since Moshe had led the people of Yisrael out from Mitzrayim.  Now some of God’s chosen people returned as emissaries.  Eldad sighed as his caravan passed the boundary between the Suez province of Cybelos and the Pharonic kingdom.

Soon he would arrive in New Kemet, the capital of Egypt, to establish more formal relations between the Pharaoh and King Yitzchak.  He looked over at cart loaded with gifts for the Pharaoh as condolence for his lost son.  Eldad was as yet still not a father, but he could not conceive of the pain his father would feel if Eldad died before his father did.  He had seen it on the faces of some men whose sons died of war or disease.

In the distance, Eldad could make out the walls of the city growing on the horizon as the caravan drew closer to the Nile Delta.  Soon he would arrive.  Soon.

Several guards had already seen the caraven and were waiting outside the transcendent city to guide the foreign emissaries into the metropolis of Hamarkhis.

Along the way, they could see the different assiduous merchants and the merchandises they had on sale. Soon enough, they arrived at the large doors of the Pharaoh's Home. Two guards pulled the doors apart, revealing the pulchritude of the Palace's interior. The emissaries were beckoned inside.
avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by The Shi Empire on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:42 am

Aegyptus wrote:
The Shi Empire wrote:
Egypt II wrote:
The Shi Empire wrote:
The translator steps forward, "We come from the far north east. We come from The Dynasty of Shi, originally from the distant lands of known as China." After hearing what the ambassador had to say, the translator spoke again, "We wish to request an audience with your ruler in hopes of establishing diplomatic relations with this country."

The man would look nervous, turning to the guards, speaking in rapid and strong Egyptian. He'd turn to the translator once again. "You are of the far north east.." Akoris would look at the ambassador, though he was speaking to the translator. "Enter, you will be heavily watched." He'd pause. "Show your utmost respect to His Majesty. His son has just passed away."

After translating what was said back to the ambassador, they gave a nod of agreement and entered. Standing before the Egyptian ruler, they all bowed, then the translator spoke, "We are most pleased to have arrived in your great nation. Your highness, we come from Shi, a state to the north." He said no more, and the ambassador did not speak until they had heard from the ruler himself.

The Pharaoh, Amyrtaeus I, stared at the ambassador coldly. His bloodshot eyes blinked twice after hearing what the translators had to say. He spoke Latin, so he did not need a translation. With a toneless, but powerful voice, he answered. "New Aegyptus welcomes you with open arms. How did you get here, and why have you come?" The Pharaoh had no interest in knowing, but he had never seen these people before. However, they strongly resembled the Hyksos.

"We are from the from the North, we travelled down across the Persian lands and into Arabia. We have come on behalf of the Empire of Shi, in order to establish trade relations with your great nation, sire." The translator explained, the small group of diplomats stood in silence as the translator talked to the Pharaoh. But they where all in awe at the beauty of the lands in which they stood in, it was impressive, grand in scale. They had not seen anything like it.
avatar
The Shi Empire

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A Western Muslim Arrives

Post by Tolassot on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:41 am

It had taken them weeks to travel from Corsica to New Kemet, but they had done it.

A diplomat from a land to the west, known as Tolassot, has arrived with gold, many different trinkets, grain, and weaponry to supply to the Pharaoh of Egypt who, although Pagan, in the eyes of the Emir Florian was no less worthy of support. The ship was made of local trees, and those from the mainland, by slave labor.

"Greetings, Pharaoh, I am Ranaa Hanab, a diplomat and concubine of the Prince-Elect Florian Hedjan, soon-to-be ruler of the most liberating Kingdom of Tolassot, based in Corsica. I was sent here with a party of men and women to show you that the hospitality offered to us, may be offered in kind to you. I am not here to proselytize, yet I may if you like tell you about Islam and about Allah. Pagans such as yourself live in our lands, and they live happy lives under the Prince's protection." A male translator spoke after her, declaring also that she was the Prince-Elect's wife-to-be (a total lie) and that it would be in the Pharaoh's best interest to see her well-treated.

Tolassot

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by House of Judah on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:49 pm

Eldad ben Asher ben Yehudah

Eldad found himself standing before the Pharaoh of Egypt. He paused a moment to reflect on the last time that a Jew had stood before the Pharaoh and the tragedies that had befallen Mitzrayim because of it. He steeled himself, straightened his spine and made his greeting.

“Master of Egypt, I am Eldad ben Asher ben Yehudah. I am nephew to and emissary from Yitzchak ben Benyamin ben Yehudah, the King of Judeans. I am sent to ensure that you will know of my uncle’s desire for peace and his remorse at the loss of your son. He sends these gifts wine and oil that they may ease your pain in this time of anguish.”
avatar
House of Judah

Posts : 332
Join date : 2015-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:46 pm

The Shi Empire wrote:"We are from the from the North, we travelled down across the Persian lands and into Arabia. We have come on behalf of the Empire of Shi, in order to establish trade relations with your great nation, sire." The translator explained, the small group of diplomats stood in silence as the translator talked to the Pharaoh. But they were all in awe at the beauty of the lands in which they stood in, it was impressive, grand in scale. They had not seen anything like it.


"The Empire of Shi, eh?" The ruler paused for an entire 30 seconds before speaking, slowly. "Well, our willingness to trade with you is heavily based on what you have to offer and what you'd like in return." His fingers intertwined and he rested his chin on them. "If it within our capacities, and, indeed, a resource we desire, then I am open to negotiation. If not, enjoy your stay, however you leave with no trade agreement."


House of Judah wrote:Eldad ben Asher ben Yehudah

Eldad found himself standing before the Pharaoh of Egypt. He paused a moment to reflect on the last time that a Jew had stood before the Pharaoh and the tragedies that had befallen Mitzrayim because of it. He steeled himself, straightened his spine and made his greeting.

“Master of Egypt, I am Eldad ben Asher ben Yehudah. I am nephew to and emissary from Yitzchak ben Benyamin ben Yehudah, the King of Judeans. I am sent to ensure that you will know of my uncle’s desire for peace and his remorse at the loss of your son. He sends these gifts wine and oil that they may ease your pain in this time of anguish.”

Ruler-Priest Amyrtaeus listened carefully to what Eldad had to say, he too, recalling what had happened the last time the Jews and Egyptians had confronted each other.. However, the Aegyptus of today was more open-minded. As long as the Judeans didn't try to spread their religion, what was there to fear? Then again, it wasn't that simple. It never was.

"Welcome, Eldad." He spoke in a gruff, flat voice, though it was usually silvery and sotto voce. "Thank you for your condolences, as well as the gifts." He managed a weak smile. "We, too, wish for peace between our two great nations. You and I both are very aware of our unfortunate history, however I think the time has come for change."
avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by The Shi Empire on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Aegyptus wrote:
The Shi Empire wrote:"We are from the from the North, we travelled down across the Persian lands and into Arabia. We have come on behalf of the Empire of Shi, in order to establish trade relations with your great nation, sire." The translator explained, the small group of diplomats stood in silence as the translator talked to the Pharaoh. But they were all in awe at the beauty of the lands in which they stood in, it was impressive, grand in scale. They had not seen anything like it.


"The Empire of Shi, eh?" The ruler paused for an entire 30 seconds before speaking, slowly. "Well, our willingness to trade with you is heavily based on what you have to offer and what you'd like in return." His fingers intertwined and he rested his chin on them. "If it within our capacities, and, indeed, a resource we desire, then I am open to negotiation. If not, enjoy your stay, however you leave with no trade agreement."

"We bare gifts from China itself. Including such items as silks and teas... You are aware of the silk road?" The translator spoke after the ambassador finished talking, "Items known for being Chinese, a rarity in a land such as this. Perhaps any contact with Mongols, or Turkic people may have brought these items to your ears." The Diplomat turned to the trader before saying something in Chinese. The trader then produced a small patch of silk, with tea leaves wrapped within it.

"This is both silk and tea. Silk is used in items of clothing, such as ours, while teas are often drank as a form of medicine and alternative to that of alcohol. If you are looking more food wise, we have rice, but that is all we have to show currently."
avatar
The Shi Empire

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:37 pm

The Shi Empire wrote:
"We bare gifts from China itself. Including such items as silks and teas... You are aware of the silk road?" The translator spoke after the ambassador finished talking,  "Items known for being Chinese, a rarity in a land such as this. Perhaps any contact with Mongols, or Turkic people may have brought these items to your ears." The Diplomat turned to the trader before saying something in Chinese. The trader then produced a small patch of silk, with tea leaves wrapped within it.

"This is both silk and tea. Silk is used in items of clothing, such as ours, while teas are often drank as a form of medicine and alternative to that of alcohol. If you are looking more food wise, we have rice, but that is all we have to show currently."

"Interesting. Very interesting." The Pharaoh felt the silk in his hands, also inhaling the smell of the tea leaves. "Your offer is tempting. In return, we have flax and papyrus. We also have copper, lead and iron ore, gold, and an abundant amount of salts." He paused. "You have heard of most of these resources before, I believe. We can present some examples if you wish."
avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by The Shi Empire on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:12 am

Aegyptus wrote:
The Shi Empire wrote:
"We bare gifts from China itself. Including such items as silks and teas... You are aware of the silk road?" The translator spoke after the ambassador finished talking,  "Items known for being Chinese, a rarity in a land such as this. Perhaps any contact with Mongols, or Turkic people may have brought these items to your ears." The Diplomat turned to the trader before saying something in Chinese. The trader then produced a small patch of silk, with tea leaves wrapped within it.

"This is both silk and tea. Silk is used in items of clothing, such as ours, while teas are often drank as a form of medicine and alternative to that of alcohol. If you are looking more food wise, we have rice, but that is all we have to show currently."

"Interesting. Very interesting." The Pharaoh felt the silk in his hands, also inhaling the smell of the tea leaves. "Your offer is tempting. In return, we have flax and papyrus. We also have copper, lead and iron ore, gold, and an abundant amount of salts." He paused. "You have heard of most of these resources before, I believe. We can present some examples if you wish."

"Flax?" The ambassador asked curiously, iron, lead, copper and gold they are gained from other trade, but it could also be useful if a easy trade route was set up.

After a small discussion from ambassador the translator spoke again, "Iron would be most useful to us, on the steps of central Asia, stable iron supplies are hard to establish... Papyrus is like paper correct?" Something else that would be useful for them, due to difficulties of gaining paper.
avatar
The Shi Empire

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by House of Judah on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:21 am

Eldad ben Asher ben Yehudah

"Change comes, bidden or not. By it's embrace we shape it. By its rejection we are destroyed. Our realms share a border. Our peoples trade. It is my uncles and my hope that by these bonds our realms need not ever find themselves in violent conflict. The Egyptian within Judea shall be protected as the Jew in Aegyptus. Trade will flow from the distant Steppes to the Nile River under the safety of Judea's banner."
avatar
House of Judah

Posts : 332
Join date : 2015-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:29 pm

The Shi Empire wrote:
Aegyptus wrote:
The Shi Empire wrote:
"We bare gifts from China itself. Including such items as silks and teas... You are aware of the silk road?" The translator spoke after the ambassador finished talking,  "Items known for being Chinese, a rarity in a land such as this. Perhaps any contact with Mongols, or Turkic people may have brought these items to your ears." The Diplomat turned to the trader before saying something in Chinese. The trader then produced a small patch of silk, with tea leaves wrapped within it.

"This is both silk and tea. Silk is used in items of clothing, such as ours, while teas are often drank as a form of medicine and alternative to that of alcohol. If you are looking more food wise, we have rice, but that is all we have to show currently."

"Interesting. Very interesting." The Pharaoh felt the silk in his hands, also inhaling the smell of the tea leaves. "Your offer is tempting. In return, we have flax and papyrus. We also have copper, lead and iron ore, gold, and an abundant amount of salts." He paused. "You have heard of most of these resources before, I believe. We can present some examples if you wish."

"Flax?" The ambassador asked curiously, iron, lead, copper and gold they are gained from other trade, but it could also be useful if a easy trade route was set up.

After a small discussion from ambassador the translator spoke again, "Iron would be most useful to us, on the steps of central Asia, stable iron supplies are hard to establish... Papyrus is like paper correct?" Something else that would be useful for them, due to difficulties of gaining paper.

A servant disappears and comes back a minute later, holding several things in his hands. The Ruler-Priest takes a flower from the bunch. This is flax. Its fibre is one of the strongest fibres used by man, and they have been used to make clothing here for centuries. While other materials have become more common, it has proven most useful. As for its seeds, flaxseed oil is useful for medicinal purposes." He pauses, setting down the plant and picking up a scroll. "This is papyrus. It is, indeed, like paper." He offers the scroll to the ambassador. "As for iron, you already know what it is, and we have an abundance of it at the moment."
avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:35 pm

House of Judah wrote:Eldad ben Asher ben Yehudah

"Change comes, bidden or not. By it's embrace we shape it. By its rejection we are destroyed. Our realms share a border. Our peoples trade. It is my uncles and my hope that by these bonds our realms need not ever find themselves in violent conflict. The Egyptian within Judea shall be protected as the Jew in Aegyptus. Trade will flow from the distant Steppes to the Nile River under the safety of Judea's banner."

Amyrtaeus pauses, looking at the young man. Finally, he speaks. "I fully agree with you. There will not be violence or aggression between our peoples during my reign, I will make sure of that. As you say, trade will prosper between Aegyptus and Judea. The time for total, real peace, has come and we must not let this opportunity escape."
avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by The Shi Empire on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Aegyptus wrote:
The Shi Empire wrote:
Aegyptus wrote:
The Shi Empire wrote:
"We bare gifts from China itself. Including such items as silks and teas... You are aware of the silk road?" The translator spoke after the ambassador finished talking,  "Items known for being Chinese, a rarity in a land such as this. Perhaps any contact with Mongols, or Turkic people may have brought these items to your ears." The Diplomat turned to the trader before saying something in Chinese. The trader then produced a small patch of silk, with tea leaves wrapped within it.

"This is both silk and tea. Silk is used in items of clothing, such as ours, while teas are often drank as a form of medicine and alternative to that of alcohol. If you are looking more food wise, we have rice, but that is all we have to show currently."

"Interesting. Very interesting." The Pharaoh felt the silk in his hands, also inhaling the smell of the tea leaves. "Your offer is tempting. In return, we have flax and papyrus. We also have copper, lead and iron ore, gold, and an abundant amount of salts." He paused. "You have heard of most of these resources before, I believe. We can present some examples if you wish."

"Flax?" The ambassador asked curiously, iron, lead, copper and gold they are gained from other trade, but it could also be useful if a easy trade route was set up.

After a small discussion from ambassador the translator spoke again, "Iron would be most useful to us, on the steps of central Asia, stable iron supplies are hard to establish... Papyrus is like paper correct?" Something else that would be useful for them, due to difficulties of gaining paper.

A servant disappears and comes back a minute later, holding several things in his hands. The Ruler-Priest takes a flower from the bunch. This is flax. Its fibre is one of the strongest fibres used by man, and they have been used to make clothing here for centuries. While other materials have become more common, it has proven most useful. As for its seeds, flaxseed oil is useful for medicinal purposes." He pauses, setting down the plant and picking up a scroll. "This is papyrus. It is, indeed, like paper." He offers the scroll to the ambassador. "As for iron, you already know what it is, and we have an abundance of it at the moment."

"We can accept these offers... The luxuries of silk and teas alongside foods such as rice in return for flax, papyrus and iron," the translator turned to the merchant among them,, "All we need to know now is what would be the best route of trade, we have no access to the Black Sea, so it would have to be land wise."
avatar
The Shi Empire

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Cybelos on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 am

It had been a number of days since the passing of Amyrtaeus, longer still since Prince Amethu had died. This nonsense has gone unanswered for too long, Empress Alexandra thought.

Amethu was a strong young man, heir to the throne, and truly, his father's son, there was no reason why Amethu's guard couldn't have protected him.

Amyrtaeus was a different story, just like John's father, Alexander, Amyrtaeus was a wise, kind, if sometimes stubborn man. But a great ruler of men, with the constitution and fortitude of an ox who carries his burdensome plow through the fields each day, so that the people who depend on him can survive, and beyond that, thrive.

There was no way Amyrtaeus would give up, men like that are too stubborn to die.
Besides, with Demetrius as his new crown prince, he would have willed himself to live, even through sickness, of which, there seems to have been none, so that he could teach his son the ways of the land, how to justly rule, the ways of delicate foreign relationships.

Something was terribly wrong, Demetrius was always a bit different than any of Amyrtaeus' children, more absolute in his ways.
But, not like this, surely? Fratricide. Patricide. Regicide. Not words that should be used to describe a Pharaoh, or a King in this sake. Perhaps Historicide could be added to the new King's titles.

Demetrius truly was removing all 'obstacles' preventing him from becoming King, the Empress thought. If she thought that was what was happening, imagine what the consensus at home was. Was the rest of the family in the way? Was she? What about her children? Were Philip, Alexandra, the Empress' namesake, Alexander, and Nikandros at risk from their conniving uncle? That could not be allowed. She may be Alexandra now, but she was born Ahmes.

Did Demetrius need to die? Not necessarily, and he may not even be at fault, unlikely as that may sound. He just needs to understand that he is being watched, and that none of his sisters are to be harmed.

What better way to get that message across than by meeting face-to-face?

Alexandra would have to petition her husband to let this happen, and perhaps it would be smart to bring it up in one of their nightly lover's post-bliss embrace.

Alexandra told John of her worries, and the Emperor did suggest sending a diplomat, or even Ioannes, the Catepan of Imperial Aigyptos, for a heavy-handed diplomatic mission. But, Alexandra knew that this wouldn't work. Perhaps in the short-term, like many Imperial interactions. But a bandage can only do so much to heal a broken bone. Things needed to be set right, stitched up, and then bandaged.

John eventually relented, once again finding himself trapped in the amber of the eyes of the woman who had given him four beautiful children.
On one condition, extreme security, only the best, an elite force that could break anything thrown at it, at least long enough to get the Empress to the safety of Alexandria.

Alexandra was sure Demetrius wouldn't break the alliance he had with Empire over something that would so blatantly be seen as his doing.
But, it was sweet that John cared for and genuinely loved her.

Accompanying the Empress, besides the small army of servants, performers, historians, theologians, and, well, soldiers, was Eudoxios Olyntenos, cousin to the Emperor, classically trained diplomat, and the open, extended hand to the Empress' tightly clenched fist.

The parade of an embassy rode from Alexandria toHamarkhis, before finally nearing the walls of the city, waiting for the welcoming party.
avatar
Cybelos

Posts : 372
Join date : 2015-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Aegyptus on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:57 am

At the gates of the city, the guards seemed angry, discussing among themselves in whispers. When the diplomatic party arrived, their talk died down. One stepped forward. It seemed like he was about to say something, but he suddenly stopped, realizing who Alexandra was. "Princess Ahmes! Has Your Grace come to mourn the Pharaoh'a death?" Another hissed at him, pulling him back.

"We apologize for his intrusion on your business, Empress Alexandra." He says the last two words with a slight emphasis, glancing towards the first guard. "As always, Your Grace is welcome in Hamarkhis." He gestured towards his men to push the gates open, then at the rest to accompany the Empress' party.

On the way, they could see the city and its people. But it had drastically changed since the last time a diplomat had come. The marketplace, and most streets, were practically empty. In a nearby square, guards were throwing pagan statues and whatnot jnto a large fire. The force accompanying the Empress' army made sure to stay at its side, even if she had already come with soldiers of her own. Eventually, they reached the Palace.
avatar
Aegyptus

Posts : 47
Join date : 2016-03-25
Age : 68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Cybelos on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:01 am

The smoke filled the near-empty city like an auspicious fog. Not exactly a distinguished Imperial welcome, a bit insulting in fact. Alexandra thought.

The pagan artifacts glowed a bright crimson in contrast to the grey of the smoke they were giving off.

It was quite sad, actually. Alexandra thought.
She understood what was happening and why, but along with the destruction of pagan went the destruction of her people. What of the necropoleis of the pharaohs, were they already marred by the overzealous young King? To take such a drastic and public anti-pagan stance, it was clear to Alexandra how Amethu and Amyrtaeus met their end.

The Empress would have to try to get some of the artifacts out and to somewhere safe, perhaps to Alexandria. Not to act as a beacon for pagans to seek out, but to be studied, catalogued, and appreciated on some level.

So long as something could be connected to the Argives or a Ptolemy they would be welcomed into that city, that is if they would even be allowed to survive.



The great doors to the main hall were before the party. Both opened by Egyptian and by Greek. Egyptian out of his duty, and the Greek servants out of a wanting to be known as helpful, and a hopeful favorite of the Empress.

Despite the slight fumblings with the doors, they were eventually opened.

It was definitely home, just... well, a bit more austere than Alexandra remembered.
Probably in a move to Christianise the hall, but the whole room was the same beige limestone color.

At least though, the rusticity of the temporary decoration made the striking colors of the delegation stand out that much more.

The purples reserved for the Imperial dynasty harmoniously complimented the natural beauty of the Empress.
That and the costumes of Emperor and Empress were always made to catch the eye, made of rare and expensive materials, complimented by gold and jewels.

The man leading the diplomatic end of the mission, Eudoxios, was a sight in of himself.
Plenty of gold coloring, along with dark red robes, as close to purple as could be obtained without outright being confused for the color.

He wore his hair short and meticulously groomed, along with a finely maintained beard.
He wore his riches well, moving confidently in them, as if they were a part of him.

After a servant introduced him as: "Sebastos Eudoxios Olyntenos, Son of Senator Romanos Olyntenos, the Strategos of Attica."

At which, Eudoxios bowed, very proud of himself.
He then took over, introducing the Empress and the party:

"Blessings upon you and your family, Your Majesty, Demetrius, King of Upper and Lower Egypt.

We are all deeply saddened by the passing of yours and Her Majesty, Empress Alexandra's father.
As you mourn, so mourns all of Egypt, as do we all.
We can all learn from the wisdom of such great men as late Amyrtaeus.

Your Majesty, might I introduce:
Her Majesty, the Empress of Rome, Most Pious Augusta,
Alexandra Philanthropena.

Alexandra nodded her head forward towards the throne.

"Your Majesty" Eudoxios continued.
"The relationship between our two realms in unrivaled and the source of envy the world over.
If we may, as a token of our ceaseless cooperation, present Your Majesty with gifts."

Eudoxios signalled for the servants to come forward, with their gifts, opening them for the court to see.

There was a great chest of golden coins, minted in the name of the Augusta, and bore her likeness.
Multiple silken robes, many embroidered with gold.
Many newly made icons were made for the young Christian monarch, icons featuring various saints of Egypt.
Finally, a fleet of fine horses waited outside of the great hall: coursers, destriers, sumpters, palfreys, and jennets.

"It is known that such earthly things have little meaning to such pious men as yourself."
Eudoxios remarked
"But, may you find use for these goods, and remember their origin."

"Your Majesty, I shall remain in your court for the remainder of our visit, ever beguiled in your presence.

However, It is Her Majesty, Empress Alexandra's wish to speak with Your Majesty out of court as brother and sister, and for herself to visit the resting places of her brother Amethu, and of her father Amyrtaeus, in order to properly mourn.

We hope you will find time for this private audience to take place.
At Your Majesty's leisure, of course."

Eudoxios bowed and waited.
avatar
Cybelos

Posts : 372
Join date : 2015-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pharaoh's Court

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum