The Khan's Court

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:16 am

The Khan's Court

This will be the IC thread for the on goings that occur within the Khanate of Azaq. Please place OOC posts in spoilers. Feel free to send applications for new characters or requests to take control of open characters through OOC posts. If applying for already-existing characters, remember: Ask about their personality and traits first.

Characters:

  • Ganbaatar, Temürid Dynasty, Khan of Azaq, 40, Zoroastrian (Azaq)
  • Altantsetseg, Temürid Dynasty, Khanum of Azaq, 27, Tengri (Azaq)
  • Bat-Erdene, Temürid Dynasty, Prince/Heir of Azaq, 21, Zoroastrian (Azaq)
  • Gerel, Temürid Dynasty, Princess of Azaq, 20, Zoroastrian (Azaq)
  • Ganzorg, Temürid Dynasty, Prince of Azaq, 19, Tengri (Azaq)
  • Tolui, Temürid Dynasty, Prince of Azaq, 18, Nestorian (Azaq)
  • Börte, Temürid Dynasty, Princess of Azaq, 17, Nestorian (Azaq) (Absent)
  • Temür, Temürid Dynasty, Prince of Azaq, 1, Zoroastrian (Azaq)

  • Chingis, Temürid Dynasty, Cherbi of the Keshig, 45, Zoroastrian (Azaq)
  • Markörgis the Easterling, Lowborn, Baghatur of Azaq, 32, Zoroastrian (Azaq) (Absent)
  • Aibek the Tinkerer, Lowborn, Darkhan of Azaq, 29, Tengri (Azaq)
  • Bogd the Brave, Lowborn, Noyan of Azaq, 36, Tengri (Azaq)
  • Turghun the Quick-Witted, Lowborn, Baghatur of Azaq, 27, Nestorian (Azaq)
  • Catarina the Amazon, Lowborn, Baghatur of Azaq, 30, Catholic (Open)

  • Tsetseg, Lowborn, Servant of Azaq, 17, Zoroastrian (Azaq) (Absent)
  • Enktuya, Lowborn, Servant of Azaq, 18, Tengri (Azaq)
  • Cecilia, House Konsky, Princess of Varasd, 16, Catholic (Varasd)
  • Pavlos, Lowborn, Translator of Azaq, 36, Orthodox (Open)
  • Boleslav, Lowborn, Translator of Azaq, 31, Zoroastrian (Azaq)
  • Yaroslava, Lowborn, Wife of Ganzorg, 18, Rodnovery (Azaq)
  • Arzu, Lowborn, Wife of Chingis, 39, Nestorian (Azaq)

  • Thomas, Lowborn, Court Priest of Azaq, 34, Orthodox (Open)
  • Ismail, Lowborn, Court Priest of Azaq, 39, Nestorian (Azaq)
  • Delshad, Lowborn, Court Priest of Azaq, 45, Zoroastrian (Open)
  • Borislav, Lowborn, Court Priest of Azaq, 44, Rodnovery (Azaq)
  • Sukhrab, Lowborn, Court Priest of Azaq, 38, Tengri (Azaq)

  • Thanos, Lowborn, Spymaster of Azaq, 50, Zoroastrian (Open)
  • Zhubin, Lowborn, Steward of Azaq, 43, Zoroastrian (Open)
  • Tömörbaatar, Lowborn, Chancellor of Azaq, 39, Nestorian (Azaq)

Ethnicities/Cultures



  • Mongol (Temürid Dynasty, Markörgis, Bogd, Tsetseg, Enktuya, Tömörbaatar)
  • Kirghiz (Aibek, Sukhrab)
  • Uyghur (Turghun, Arzu, Ismail)
  • Rus' (Boleslav, Borislav, Yaroslava)
  • Occitan (Catarina)
  • Croatian (Cecilia)
  • Greek (Pavlos, Thomas, Thanos)
  • Persian (Delshad, Zhubin)



Tidbits of information:

Altantsetseg is the Khan's third wife and niece, his first wife died in childbirth delivering Princess Gerel, and second died of pneumonia 6 weeks after giving birth to Börte.
Chingis is the Khan's brother, Altantsetseg's father, and leader (Cherbi) of the royal guard (Keshig).
'Baghatur' means 'hero/valiant warrior'.
'Darkhan' means 'Craftsman'.
Cecilia is betrothed to Tolui.
Turghun has a Mongol mother, making him mixed-race.
Khanum Altantsetseg is not Arzu's daughter (Arzu and Chingis have no children) and was born of a different, Mongol mother, meaning she is not mixed-race like Turghun.
Bat-Erdene and Gerel are married to each other, Temür is their son.


Last edited by Azaq on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:20 am; edited 5 times in total
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Shi arrives

Post by The Shi Empire on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:18 am



Arriving at the Khanate's capital, was a small party of 15 Chinese, The Ambassador Guan Yun, one merchant, one translator, and the rest was the guards. The journey was not as long as other diplomatic missions, mainly due to the proximity to both nations. They also found it easier to gain access to the capital, but they didn't know why.

After spending a night in a tavern they made their way towards the Khan's court and hoped to gain a meeting with the ruler over these lands, and build up diplomatic relations.
avatar
The Shi Empire

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:16 pm



Princess Cecilia
Azaq


Upon finally arriving in Azaq, Princess Cecilia has come to regret that she has refused her fathers offer to bring her servants along. Imagining the Khan's realm as an eastern land of wonder and tales, she was utterly wrong. Nomads rode the vast steppes, which offered no pleasure to the eye. The usual merchant caravans were encountered, peasants working on some fields, but no vividness of the Croatian countryside she was used to.

However, upon entering the city of Azaq, the Princess was relieved that signs of true civilisation were there. The town looked alike to a thriving venetian trade center, mixed with a typical city of his father's realm. Though clearly there was much left to construct, Princess Cecilia was a bit relieved that she would live in a place proud to call home, after all.

She was eager and impatient to meet her husband, and her Khan, too. His father and mother have long prepared her for such an event, after all.
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:13 pm

Outside the Palace Walls

The palace guards were surprised, to say the least, to see men dressed in clothing from the Far East so far west. The Mongols and some Turks managed to identify the men as Chinese almost instantly, while others - particularly the Greeks and Rus' - looked on in astonishment. To them, these men appeared to be Mongols, yet their dress indicated otherwise, and so they could only wonder from what corner of the east did they hail from? The Greeks, at least, could summarize they were likely Chinamen, while the Rus' hadn't a clue at all.

The guards stopped the party at the palace gates, and allowed them to enter without saying a word. They knew immediately that these were dignitaries of some sorts, and so permitted their entry, directing them to the front doors to the palace.

Zhubin

The throne room was relatively empty except for the Khan's personal guard, when suddenly a man of Persian complexion - whose bald head was polished to the point that one could see their reflection in it - entered the room. Dressed in typical Persian attire and sporting a large, friendly smile, he appeared as a joyous man whose very presence could brighten someones day. In a thick Persian accent, he spoke Latin so fluently it almost seemed like it was his native tongue, and his very voice seemed to be able to lighten someones mood with but a single word.

"Princess Cecilia, I take it? Welcome to Azaq! I am Zhubin, steward to the Khan. He will be along shortly, but in the meantime, can I offer you a drink or something? Perhaps some fresh fruit? Anything at all, do not be afraid to ask."

Elsewhere in the Palace

The Khan and his court were assembled in what appeared to be large training room, standing off to the sides near the walls as an individual clad in Western armor stood in the center - wielding a short sword in one hand and shield in the other - surrounded by several men clad in what appeared to be Saracen armor, armed with an assortment of weapons.

"Begin!"

The Khan shouted, and the men engaged the Westerner in combat, only to be quickly defeated and slain by the mysterious knight. One by one, they fell until they all lay dead. The fight was quick, and though the knight was outnumbered, they triumphed, vanquishing their foes with ease. The Khan laughed and clapped, as did much of the court, as the bodies of the knight's slain foes were dragged away.

"Impressive! Even with your heavy, clunky Western armor, you struck quick and mercilessly. Some of the most vicious criminals in the land, top-notch swordsmen, slain so easily by a single knight. You have proven yourself worth my time, stranger. Now, speak then, what is your name and from where do you hail?"

The knight paused, facing the Khan it sheathed it's sword, and laid it's shield to it's side. Slowly, the knight removed it's helmet, only for the court's eyes to widen, mouths to gap, and gasps to be uttered. For this knight was no man at all, but a woman, clad in armor. Even the Khan himself was surprised at this revelation. The armor-clad woman knelt before the Khan and spoke in Greek.

"My name is Catarina, oh Great Khan, and I hail from Occitania."

She said, as she rose from her knelling position.

"I have heard tales of your warriors' greatness on the battlefield, and so I have traveled far in hopes of serving amongst such great warriors, for I know of no court in the West that would accept a knight of womanhood. I only hope that, among the great warrior Mongols, that my skill may be recognized and welcomed, regardless of my sex."

The Khan listened to his translator as he translated her words. For a moment he spoke nothing, only staring at the woman. Suddenly he smiled and laughed a hardy laugh.

"You wish to serve among my men? The most fearsome warriors of the steppes? Among men, as a woman?"

He paused and chuckled.

"Then so be it, 'Amazonian'! But you will not serve with the common soldier like fodder, no, your skill is worthy of the highest position available: My personal guard."

Much of the court was surprised, how could the Khan permit a woman to serve among his guard? Such a thing was unheard of, but it was no one's place to question the Khan... not if they valued their life that is. Catarina herself was surprised, and did not expect him to agree - nor to make her apart of his royal guard - yet she knelt before him anyway.

"As you wish, Great Khan."

The Khan then gathered his court, - including his new guardswoman - and then proceeded to the throne room.
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:50 am

Princess Cecilia

"Greetings, Lord Steward. I must be honest with you, I've expected a welcome fit for Royalty. I would like some refreshers indeed."

Princess Cecilia was impressed by the palace, yet not so by the courtesy of her hosts. She expected a large and pompous announcement to the people of Azaq about her arrival, and yet she was welcomed like a lady of some minor noble house.


-----

Adalbert and Jaromir

The two monks approached the palace with eagerness. They prayed for a while before entering, and has asked a guard to request audience with the Steward, because they ultimately want to speak to the Khan himself.

While waiting, they've prayed, and gathered their arguments and tried their speeches, best they could. Any passing man could see how nervous they were, but in the same time, how seriously they took their cause.
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Varasd wrote:Princess Cecilia

"Greetings, Lord Steward. I must be honest with you, I've expected a welcome fit for Royalty. I would like some refreshers indeed."

Princess Cecilia was impressed by the palace, yet not so by the courtesy of her hosts. She expected a large and pompous announcement to the people of Azaq about her arrival, and yet she was welcomed like a lady of some minor noble house.


-----

Adalbert and Jaromir

The two monks approached the palace with eagerness. They prayed for a while before entering, and has asked a guard to request audience with the Steward, because they ultimately want to speak to the Khan himself.

While waiting, they've prayed, and gathered their arguments and tried their speeches, best they could. Any passing man could see how nervous they were, but in the same time, how seriously they took their cause.

Zhubin

"Of course, princess."

Zhubin snapped his fingers, and a young Mongol girl came into the room.

"Enktuya, fetch Princess Cecilia here something to drink, wine preferably, hurry now child!"

He said in Mongolian, clapping his hands as the servant bowed and ran out of the room quickly. Suddenly, the main door to throne room opened and a guard came in, he first glanced at Princess Cecilia in surprise, then turned to Zhubin.

"There are two men here requesting to see you."

He said in Mongolian, Zhubin shooed him out. Zhubin then turned back to Cecilia.

"Forgive me, Princess, I have business to attend to. The Khan should be along shortly."

Zhubin then proceeded out the door, and noticed the two monk-like men before him instantly. The guard who notified the steward of their arrival then approached him.

"They speak Mongolian, yet they look like Magyars."

Zhubin nodded his head.

"Greetings, gentlemen. I am Zhubin, Steward of Azaq. You are from Varasd, yes? What is it that you seek here, friends?"



Ganbaatar Khan

Just as Zhubin left, Enktuya returned with a wine glass and bottle, and poured Princess Cecilia some wine. She then bowed and stood aside. Suddenly, a door opened from the side near the throne, and entered none other than the Khan himself. Taking one look at the princess, he smiled and curtsied toward the princess.

"Princess Cecilia Konsky, I assume?"

He took his place on his throne as the rest of his court entered the room, a collection of colorful characters entering behind him. Mostly Mongols and a few Turks and Greeks, and a brunette-haired woman clad in armor. A man of Greek complexion translated for the Khan, as a young Mongolian woman - clearly the Khanum - sat beside the Khan on a smaller throne.

"Welcome to Azaq, princess. I am Ganbaatar, Khan of Azaq. I trust your trip was safe, yet not too boring?"
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:34 pm

Adalbert and Julianus

"Greetings, sir! We hail from Varasd indeed, Sir. We assume that you are a busy man, and so we shall not make you waste your time with us." Julianus said, and cleared his throat.

"We are missionaries, preaching the word of Christ. However, we do not wish to intrude in your lands, and be unwelcome guests. Therefore, we wish to seek audience with the Khan, and ask for him to allow our presence. Maybe tell us the terms under which we may remain here?

That is why we came, and we were told to seek out you first, before we could ask the Khan himself.
"

As Julianus stopped talking, he and Adalbert were looking at Zhubin with much hope in their eyes, yet still, very nervous.

-----------------
Princess Cecilia

"Greetings, Your Majesty, Ganbataar Khan!" Princess Cecilia said, as formal as the most cultured court in Europe could get.

"My trip was safe indeed - on the way here, the Royal Guards you have sent as a gift to my Father have bravely defended me from bandits. What they lack in common courtesy, they make up with strength and valiance."

Princess Cecilia was clearly a bit nervous due to the sudden colourful crowd of people appearing in the hall, however, she acted just like her father and mother taught her to do.
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by The Shi Empire on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:37 pm

Upon arriving at the Khan's palace, they would have to wait till that of the other visitors from other nations to leave the area. But The Chinese had patience, and tea, two things in which allowed them to wait until disturbed by somebody for better or for worse.
avatar
The Shi Empire

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Zhubin

The steward's expression went from welcomed joy to indifference when he heard the two men admit to being missionaries. He pondered for a moment before replying.

"I see. Pray tell, friend, which church to you represent precisely? The Latin Catholic Church in Rome... or the Greek Orthodox Church in Constantinople?"

He patiently awaited a response, as a guard came in and informed him of the ambassadors from Shi. He nodded his head informed the guard that he would meet with them shortly.



Ganbaatar Khan

The Khan smiled and laughed.

"Glad to hear that Markörgis hasn't lost his edge. Truly he has earned the title of 'baghatur'."

The Khan paused for a moment.

"You speak of 'common courtesy'? You will find that no kind of courtesy is common among warriors, Princess. We are not courtly knights, our job is kill the enemy so that he may not kill us. In true warfare there is no time for for 'common courtesy' when the only thing standing between your blade and the enemies' is hesitation. Battle is unfair, and battle does not care how courteous you are, she will slay you like a wild beast without mercy.

But enough of this. Princess, would you like to meet your future husband now?"
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Adalbert and Julianus

"We began our mission from God before the great Shism happened, Sir... However we have gained authorization from the Pope, so if we had to answer your question, we serve the Roman Catholic Church."

Julianus stopped, and took a deep breath, clearly worried if he made the right answer.

"B-but, Sir, listen to me for a mere more moment, please. We seek to show a new way to reach for God, to mend the issues that caused the splitting of the Church of Jesus Christ."


-----

Princess Cecilia

The Princess listened to the Khan, and clearly held back her tongue on courtesy and knightly values. This was her new home now, and she had new rules to obey.

"Yes, of course, Your Majesty. I believe that is why they're elite warriors, they understand battle better than anyone else in this world.

Of course, I would like to meet him, Your Majesty. If I may be completely honest with you, I feel very honoured to be accepted into your Dynasty.
"
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Varasd wrote:Adalbert and Julianus

"We began our mission from God before the great Shism happened, Sir... However we have gained authorization from the Pope, so if we had to answer your question, we serve the Roman Catholic Church."

Julianus stopped, and took a deep breath, clearly worried if he made the right answer.

"B-but, Sir, listen to me for a mere more moment, please. We seek to show a new way to reach for God, to mend the issues that caused the splitting of the Church of Jesus Christ."


-----

Princess Cecilia

The Princess listened to the Khan, and clearly held back her tongue on courtesy and knightly values. This was her new home now, and she had new rules to obey.

"Yes, of course, Your Majesty. I believe that is why they're elite warriors, they understand battle better than anyone else in this world.

Of course, I would like to meet him, Your Majesty. If I may be completely honest with you, I feel very honoured to be accepted into your Dynasty.
"

Zhubin

"Interesting."

Zhubin stared at the two for a moment, then paced as he thought about their words for a moment.

"So then you answer to the Pope in Rome, correct?"



Ganbaatar Khan

The Khan was pleased to her the princess' words, even if he had some minor reservations on their sincerity.

"Excellent!"

The Khan motioned to a man in the crowd to step forward, to which he did.

"This is my son, Tolui, to whom you are to marry."

Tolui bowed in respect to the princess. He was not a particularly handsome man, though he was not ugly either. Merely an average man of average height and average appearance. Were it not for his upper class apparel, one would not even take notice of him.

"I assume you speak the language of the Greeks? Tolui has a good deal of knowledge of the language and so can speak it, albeit not fluently. Of course, we will have to teach you Mongolian while you are here. It will certainly help any communication barriers you might come across."
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:55 am

Adalbert and Julianus

"Yes, sir. We answer to Rome." Julianus finally answered the question of the Steward. Now the two waited for what was coming.

------
Princess Cecilia

Princess Cecilia bowed in respect as well. She carefully inspected her future husband, with a polite smile on her face.

"Yes, your Majesty, I speak the language of romans, hellenes, illyrians, and the teutons as well. And, I would gladly learn the language of your people, too. "
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:43 am

Varasd wrote:Adalbert and Julianus

"Yes, sir. We answer to Rome." Julianus finally answered the question of the Steward. Now the two waited for what was coming.

------
Princess Cecilia

Princess Cecilia bowed in respect as well. She carefully inspected her future husband, with a polite smile on her face.

"Yes, your Majesty, I speak the language of romans, hellenes, illyrians, and the teutons as well. And, I would gladly learn the language of your people, too. "

Zhubin

"I see... excuse me for a moment."

Zhubin left the room to think for a moment, only to return a few minutes later.

"The Khan has granted permission for Christian missionaries to enter his realm and convert whomever will listen so long as they are not a member of his family... however, this is restricted to representatives of the Orthodox Church. In addition to being an obviously wise political move, the Khan has a sympathy for the Orthodox Church and it's beliefs, and despises what he views as 'corruption' in the Catholic Church.

However, your words suggest that you hold alternative views to perhaps both churches. So, while you claim to serve Rome - and you likely believe this yourself - I believe your views differ from that of Rome's, as well as that of the church in Constantinople.

Before you sabotage yourselves and argue otherwise, know that I will permit you to see the Khan. You will have to wait for the moment, as he is busy dealing with an important familial matter. I will let him judge your views and ultimately decide if you will indeed stay in the Khanate or not."

Zhubin turned toward the door to the throne room.

"Wait here, and I will fetch you when the Khan is ready to see you."

He then smiled and left the room.



Ganbaatar Khan

"Good, very good."

The Khan rose from his seat, and gestured to Cecilia.

"Welcome to the Khanate of Azaq, Cecilia of House Konsky, Princess of Varasd, Daughter of Zvonimir, and future Princess of Azaq. I hope you find your new home welcoming."

The Khan sat back down, as he saw Zhubin enter the room. The two nodded to each other, as Zhubin waited for the Khan to finish.

"Tolui! Take your future bride on a tour of the palace, answer whatever questions she may have."

Tolui bowed as the Khan turned to the Cecilia.

"If you have any questions, feel free to ask Tolui, myself, or seek out Zhubin. If you need anything seek out Enktuya."

The Khan gestured to the young servant who gave Cecilia her wine, who bowed.

"She will get you what you need and speaks Greek."

Tolui then approached the princess and offer her his arm.

"If you will allow me, princess."

His voice was softer than his father's, whom was loud and booming when speaking, - a voice worthy of a Khan - but still was commanding of quite a bit of respect.
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Adalbert and Julianus

"Thank you, Sir! This is exactly why we thought we must ask first, before we do any thing - we would never want to anger the Khan with committing mistakes out of ignorance. "

When the Steward left, the two began praying in silence.


------------

Princess Cecilia

The Princess kindly took the arm of Tolui, and smiled at him.

"Of course, Sir. Since I'm granted this opportunity to get to know you, do you mind telling me about yourself, your family? "
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:55 am

Varasd wrote:Adalbert and Julianus

"Thank you, Sir! This is exactly why we thought we must ask first, before we do any thing - we would never want to anger the Khan with committing mistakes out of ignorance. "

When the Steward left, the two began praying in silence.


------------

Princess Cecilia

The Princess kindly took the arm of Tolui, and smiled at him.

"Of course, Sir. Since I'm granted this opportunity to get to know you, do you mind telling me about yourself, your family? "

Tolui

Tolui guided Cecilia outside the throne room and into the hall before answering her question.

"Of course, what is it that you wish to know?"



Zhubin & Ganbaatar Khan

As the two left, the Khan nodded to Zhubin at the back. Zhubin nodded back, and as the Khan dismissed most of the court - save for his wife Altantsetseg, his brother Chingis, the baghaturs Turghun and Catarina, his translators Pavlos and Boleslav, his guards, his servant and Enktuya - Zhubin opened the main doors to the throne room, addressing Adalbert and Julianus.

"The Khan will see you now."

He said, and as the two entered he closed the doors and made his way to the Khan's side.
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:50 pm

Princess Cecilia

"I know almost nothing about you, Sir, so everything you can could be new for me. I don't know about your family either, nor your people. I only know, from Commander Markörgis, that there are no gryphons or flesh-eating horses in these lands, like the tales tell."

--------

Adalbert and Julianus

"Greetings, your Majesty, Great King of Scythia, Khan of Azaq!" - Julianus began, as both he and Adalbert bowed. "Thank you seeing us, and listening to us. We have come from the Kingdom of Varasd, but we are not here on behalf of King Zvonimir, we serve the Pope, and the Roman Catholic Church instead.
We are missionaries, you see. However, before trying to spread the word of Christ in your lands, we seek your approval, for these are your lands, and as Jesus himself said, "give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God.".

We have heard your disapproval for our Church, Lord, but please, give us a minute. We seek a new way of life for those who follow Christ, and we seek to set an example. For now, you can see two ways of Christianity, one is the life of the priests and bishops, who revere themselves in gold and earthly riches, the other is the life of the monks, who hide away from society and pray in solitude.

Is there no golden middle way? We believe there is. We wish to establish a society of followers of Christ, who instead of being hermits, live among people, and instead of hoarding riches, live in poverty, by the charity of the people.
We shall not lock us away from the world, and we seek to live in the cities, helping those who need it, by curing illnesses, giving food to those who need, and we shall do it all from money on charity, not leaving any coin for ourselves, except for our most basic needs.

I could tell you much more, Lord, but I do not wish to bore you with the details of our ideas - the basic, and most important part, you already know.

Do you allow us to form such a Brotherhood, and live in your cities?
"
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:05 am

Varasd wrote:Princess Cecilia

"I know almost nothing about you, Sir, so everything you can could be new for me. I don't know about your family either, nor your people. I only know, from Commander Markörgis, that there are no gryphons or flesh-eating horses in these lands, like the tales tell."

--------

Adalbert and Julianus

"Greetings, your Majesty, Great King of Scythia, Khan of Azaq!" - Julianus began, as both he and Adalbert bowed. "Thank you seeing us, and listening to us. We have come from the Kingdom of Varasd, but we are not here on behalf of King Zvonimir, we serve the Pope, and the Roman Catholic Church instead.
We are missionaries, you see. However, before trying to spread the word of Christ in your lands, we seek your approval, for these are your lands, and as Jesus himself said, "give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God.".

We have heard your disapproval for our Church, Lord, but please, give us a minute. We seek a new way of life for those who follow Christ, and we seek to set an example. For now, you can see two ways of Christianity, one is the life of the priests and bishops, who revere themselves in gold and earthly riches, the other is the life of the monks, who hide away from society and pray in solitude.

Is there no golden middle way? We believe there is. We wish to establish a society of followers of Christ, who instead of being hermits, live among people, and instead of hoarding riches, live in poverty, by the charity of the people.
We shall not lock us away from the world, and we seek to live in the cities, helping those who need it, by curing illnesses, giving food to those who need, and we shall do it all from money on charity, not leaving any coin for ourselves, except for our most basic needs.

I could tell you much more, Lord, but I do not wish to bore you with the details of our ideas - the basic, and most important part, you already know.

Do you allow us to form such a Brotherhood, and live in your cities?
"

Tolui

Tolui laughed.

"What? 'Flesh-eating horses'? What nonsense! No, no. No such things here, I'm afraid. I admit though, that would be an interesting sight - if admittedly a bit gruesome - though I do not think God would conceive of such a creature, for perhaps it would be too terrifying to even imagine."

He thought for a moment as they wandered the halls.

"So you know Markörgis then? A great warrior he is, a 'baghatur'. Do you by chance know what that means, lady Cecilia?"



Ganbaatar Khan

The Khan's face was expressionless as he listened with deep interest. When they were finished explaining their purpose and goals, he thought to himself for a moment.

"Is that so?"

He asked, pausing again for a moment.

"An interesting mission you seem to be on, I question if it will succeed. You seem to bash the corruption more commonly found amongst your church, and for this I applaud your initiative. I will admit, I am curious as to where exactly this will go. But only time can give that answer."

The Khan sat up straight.

"Theodosia, Psoa, Nymphaion, Pantikapeon. These four eastern cities shall be the area in which you are permitted to spread your word. My song, Tolui, who is a Nestorian Christian, is expected to take these lands upon my death, and so will likely spread the word of Christ there when he does. Since he likes to debate theology, I am sure he will be interested in what you have to say.

Be warned though, you are limited to these cities and the peninsula on which they sit. Nothing more. Overstep your boundaries and you and those you have converted will be expelled from the realm. Do you understand?"
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Princess Cecilia


"Well, where I come from, Scythia is told to be a place where almost all the mythical creatures live... I guess, they are all wild tales.

I do not know what a bagathur is. Could you explain?
"

Princess Cecilia seemingly very much enjoyed the company of Tolui, and enjoyed the little conversation they had.

--------
Adalbert and Julianus

"Yes, we understand, your Majesty! That is precisely why we insisted on audience in front of you first, to make sure you approve our mission. Thank you again! Imagine what glory it will bring to your name and land, if the movement that will hopefully mend the Great Shism would spread from your lands!

Again, thank you!
"

Adalbert and Julianus bowed deeply in front of the Khan, and left his great halls. They have set out for the city of Theodosia, where they would begin to preach, and help those in need. They had a sufficient amount of money to purchase a small plot in the city, or at the outskirts of it, where they would make their humble home, a small chapel, and some place for a small hospital.

The beginnings would be small, but with time, the two monks were certain that their movement would grow.
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:40 am

Varasd wrote:Princess Cecilia


"Well, where I come from, Scythia is told to be a place where almost all the mythical creatures live... I guess, they are all wild tales.

I do not know what a bagathur is. Could you explain?
"

Princess Cecilia seemingly very much enjoyed the company of Tolui, and enjoyed the little conversation they had.

--------
Adalbert and Julianus

"Yes, we understand, your Majesty! That is precisely why we insisted on audience in front of you first, to make sure you approve our mission. Thank you again! Imagine what glory it will bring to your name and land, if the movement that will hopefully mend the Great Shism would spread from your lands!

Again, thank you!
"

Adalbert and Julianus bowed deeply in front of the Khan, and left his great halls. They have set out for the city of Theodosia, where they would begin to preach, and help those in need. They had a sufficient amount of money to purchase a small plot in the city, or at the outskirts of it, where they would make their humble home, a small chapel, and some place for a small hospital.

The beginnings would be small, but with time, the two monks were certain that their movement would grow.

Tolui

"A 'baghatur' is a great warrior. In a way, you could compare it to a knighthood of sorts, awarded to warriors who have proven their great prowess in combat. Such a title demands the utmost respect, even from a Khan. It is not unusual for a Khan to hold the title, nor for a commander. Markörgis is an example of a great warrior who has earned the title. I once saw the man take 3 arrows to the chest and still keep fighting, which is not an easy thing to do for most men.

There are others in my father's court and army that wield the title, most notably Turghun. He is quite young compared to most baghaturs, but he has certainly earned it. He strikes swiftly, and thinks quickly, earning him the nickname 'the Quick-Witted'. Though he is a bit arrogant of his own skill, I will admit.

Another notable example would be this 'Catarina' woman, from Occitania. I have never heard of a woman fighting before, but she does indeed seem to be quite good at it. Very good at it. My father even made her one of his own bodyguards in addition to the title of 'baghatur'. Never before have I seen a female baghatur, and some have begun to nickname her 'the Amazon' due to her skill with the blade. Like Turghun, she is quick - despite her armor - and deals devastating blows at the perfect opportunity. A fascinating woman, if a bit unorthodox.

It makes me wonder if women could serve among men in combat. Supposedly the Amazons were all-female warriors, but I have my doubts they were actually real. If they were, I must say that would be quite interesting. I can only wonder what my father might think of the idea."
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Princess Cecilia

"Where I come from, the tales tell that Amazons live on the northern, or eastern most end of Scythia. I believe if they existed, your people would have met them already.

My good sir, the question is not if we, women would be able to serve with men, because we could, of course! The real question is, who would then raise the warriors of the future?
" Cecilia giggled a bit, when she first joked with Tolui, clearly enjoying the conversation.
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:28 am

Varasd wrote:Princess Cecilia

"Where I come from, the tales tell that Amazons live on the northern, or eastern most end of Scythia. I believe if they existed, your people would have met them already.

My good sir, the question is not if we, women would be able to serve with men, because we could, of course! The real question is, who would then raise the warriors of the future?
" Cecilia giggled a bit, when she first joked with Tolui, clearly enjoying the conversation.

Tolui

"Well, we were not the first ones here. Many Turks lived in these lands before we arrived, so perhaps they might know something about these Amazons, if they did exist. Perhaps they absorbed them into their confederacies, wiped them out, or drove them away? Though that may have been many years ago. I have heard tales of some people - the Alans - nearby to the southeast that speak a strange language, somewhat similar to Persian, though though distinctively different. They are not Turks is all I know, and they do not come from the Caucasus Mountains. Perhaps they are what is left of the people of Scythia, and the Amazons?"

Tolui laughed.

"Indeed it is true, if all the women went off to war, who would conceive and raise the future warriors? Perhaps not all of them would go then? Obviously the more that are kept out of battle, the better, but we do not send all men off to battle, for if we did, we would have no men left to conceive the children with the women. This is why warriors are chosen from those who can serve, not those that will. Besides, most women would probably not dare go to war anyway, so it may not be something that is needed to worry about?"

Tolui thought for a moment.

"But we are getting off topic. You wanted to know about myself, and my family? Ask anything! I am afraid I can't think of anything worth saying, other than my family is responsible for the founding of this Khanate, it's conversion to Zoroastrianism, and it's settling down in this peninsula and basin. We are proud warriors, simple as that. As for myself, well, I wouldn't know where to begin."
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:56 pm

Princess Cecilia

"When you ask people about themselves in Varasd, they begin to start telling their lineage. It can be really boring, I assure you!

Maybe tell me how come you are Christian, even though your family and people follow Zoroaster? I'm curious about that, if you don't mind me asking.
"
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Varasd wrote:Princess Cecilia

"When you ask people about themselves in Varasd, they begin to start telling their lineage. It can be really boring, I assure you!

Maybe tell me how come you are Christian, even though your family and people follow Zoroaster? I'm curious about that, if you don't mind me asking.
"

Tolui

"Well, Tengri was not the only god worshiped on the steppes. There were Christians, Nestorians, who lived in a basin near Mongolia. Before we left our homeland, some of us had converted to their faith, including one of the teachers that taught all of my father's children. However, only I and my sister Börte converted, and of our own accord. We had both asked our teacher about his faith, and he enlightened us on what it meant. Father didn't seem to mind though, for he did not convert us at all, we changed faiths of our own free will.

The most of my family converted to Zoroastrianism when my grandfather, Temür, converted through Persian migrants fleeing Muhammadan invaders. Only my brother Ganzorg, my uncle Chingis, and my cousin Altantsetseg - my father's current wife - remained Tengri. Later, after my grandfather died, Börte and I converted to Nestorian Christianity."

Tolui looked to Cecilia and smiled.

"Does that answer your question?"
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Varasd on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:48 am

Princess Cecilia


"Yes, definitely! Your people have very interesting roots, Sir. Now you answered my question, it's your turn to ask - if you want to know something. "
avatar
Varasd
Admin

Posts : 561
Join date : 2015-11-26

View user profile http://medeu.hungarianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Azaq on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:28 am

Varasd wrote:Princess Cecilia


"Yes, definitely! Your people have very interesting roots, Sir. Now you answered my question, it's your turn to ask - if you want to know something. "

Tolui

"Well, alright then."

Tolui thought for a minute.

"Okay, here's a question for you: What are your personal interests, princess?"
avatar
Azaq

Posts : 150
Join date : 2015-12-08
Age : 20
Location : 'Murica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Khan's Court

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum