Medieval Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Game for Cyprus

+2
Byzantine_Bithynia
Varasd
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Game for Cyprus Empty The Game for Cyprus

Post by Varasd Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:40 am

THE DUKE OF CYPRUS

The Game for Cyprus Crusader_kings_2_loading_screen_by_zenarion-d50ovq8

Duke Aimery, of Cyprus, is on his death bed, aged 76, ill, his death may come in any second. The Duke can not speak any more, nobody knows if he can hear, all he does is sleep, and eat as much as they feed him.
But the Old Duke was sick in the mind for a long time now, which will probably lead the Island into ruins...

In his madness, the Old Duke wrote his will, in which he ceded Cyprus to the "Emperor of the Romans" upon his death. His heirs and possible usurpers, have quickly tried to get rid of this document, with little success.

Reginald, the son of the Old Duke, outlawed of inheriting by the will of the mad Duke, is looking for foreign support towards his claim. Willing to give up authonomy, but not Cyprus, he hopes that the Calabrian Republic will take him under her wings, providing protection for a vassal status.

Kleithos, the Greek, is the Admiral of the Fleet of Cyprus, and is planning to establish a military rule under Cybelosian authority, where he would be governor. He has strong ties to the greek naval world.

The traders and merchants of the Island are mainly jewish, and with the guidance of rabbi Barnabas, many of them hope that the Kingdom of Judea will help them take control of the important trading centre.

Lord Baldwyn who is the Marshall of the Old Duke, and his most loyal follower as well, takes the words of the Duke seriously. In the "Emperor of the Romans" he sees Constantinople, and will fight to make sure that the Corvinus family inherits the Island.

Bishop Paulus, a latin clergyman does not share the ideas of Lord Baldwyn - the eastern catholics can surely not be the heirs of Rome. In his mind, the Latin realm of Romaniium is the true heir of Rome, and with that, of Cyprus as well.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

The Game for Cyprus Empty Re: The Game for Cyprus

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:19 pm

The Game for Cyprus PwdeTBg
This is a summary of what had been in World Events before.

Upon the outbreak of the Cyprus situation, the Kingdom of Bithynia and Kingdom of Cybelos saw possibility to cooperate, and after some correspondence, set plans into action. Firstly 50 Cybelos and 30 Bithynian vessels were ordered to blockade Romaniium, and prevent them from reaching the island. Then, a force of 3550 Bithynian men were sent aboard ships to land at Cyprus, and secure the island. They were joined by a Cybelos Captain from Rhodes, and the ships fly both banners of Bithynia and Cybelos.

The Greek fleet had initially planned on landing along the eastern peninsula of the island, but after scouting ships gave them word of the Judean forces, they made landfall earlier, near Nicosia. They now march on the city, intent on securing it. A messenger has been sent to the Marshall of Cyprus, requesting he bring his men and join with the Greek forces.

Last edited by Byzantine_Bithynia on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:58 pm

King Yitzchak ben Benyamin ben Yehudah

The King regarded the Cypriot and the message he carried from Rav Barnabas, his eyes narrowed in thought.

“While I understand your desires,” the king began, “I am still yet to hear why we should intervene in the succession crisis of a Christian realm.”

“Your most holy and royal majesty,” said the Cypriot, “Cyprus is in chaos and anarchy.  No one can enforce the law.  This is a bad enough state of affairs, but worse yet there is blood libel issued against Jews.  The late Duke’s physician was a Jew and now the whole of our congregation is accused of complicity in his death.  Despite the alliance you have secured with Rome, our people are under threat from the Christians of the realm.  This is not wresting the rightful lands of another from their hands, most gracious one.  The Mad Duke left his lands to an office long vacant.  He left his lands to ruin.  I beg you…” the man paused and bowed low, “my king, come to Cyprus to save your people Israel, and indeed to save Cyprus herself.”  Yitzchak thoughtfully rubbed his beard, then waved his sons to him.

“It will be your kingdom one day, Benyamin.  What think you?”

“It is a dangerous proposition, father.  There are four realms of Christendom that are being enticed to claim the island for their own.  I doubt we could withstand the fires of such a crucible.”

“I think you overestimate the dangers, brother,” interjected Ari.  “All four find much of their armies already tied down in conflict with the Bogumils, and further Romaniium and Byzantium stand at one another's throats.  Neither can afford to send great armies to Cyprus without leaving themselves vulnerable to the other.  Further, King Alexander holds you in great affection and I think he would not challenge your armies if he finds them already in possession of the island.  This leaves only the Sicilians of Calabria as a threat, but they will have farther to travel and more hazards to weather before they arrive on this island from their own.  As it is, none stand in opposition yet.  If we move quickly, by the time the other realms can respond we may present them with a fait accompli.  Already the island will be ours.”

“I agree with my Ari,” said Eliezer.  “This is a unique opportunity.  God has made it for us that Cyprus will fall into your lap father.  Her ports are rich and their addition to our own will grant greater glory to Israel, Judea and you.”  Benyamin still looked uneasy, but finally nodded his head.

“Their arguments have merit, father.  It is a risk, but I stand convinced that rewards for success are worth it.”

“So be it.”  The king waved his sons off.  “We will take your island and add it to our realm.  We will raise the Jews of Cyprus high above those who would defile them, and all the world shall know that God favors his people Israel above all others.  Ari, you are my marshal.  You will lead this invasion.”

“It will be as you command father.  Within the week eight thousand of my finest will march ashore.  Before the next ends they will be supplemented by an additional four.  If the Christian realms will move to take the island, they will find lion banners the length and width of it.”  The king nodded and Ari marched out of the chamber with purpose, the Cypriot Jew following closely behind.  Yitzchak waved his spymaster to him.

“Barak, have your spies learn the locations of those who lead they who would press other claims.  Have them captured if you can and made prisoners in my son’s camp.  If you cannot, then see that their pressings are ended.”

“As my king wills it, so shall it be.”

“And see what you can do to better aid my son, or at least weaken those who would be his enemies.”  The king’s spymaster bowed deeply and withdrew to make his preparations.

“Benyamin, send word to the Azaq Khan.  Tell him we would hire five thousand of his horsemen and would appreciate his… delaying of any raids into Bogumil held territories until a more opportune moment.  Entrust this only to one you know will not reveal even under the worst torments his purpose.  I need another to go east, to the lands of the Persian Sultan.  Tell him, we would ally our realms through the commingling of our bloodlines.”

“Yes father.”

Ari ben Yitzchak ben Yehudah has marched his fathers armies ashore, numbering eight thousand. The ships of his fleet have returned to Judea to collect a further four thousand. With the aid of the Jews of the port cities, he has taken much of the coast lines. But word has reached him of the Greeks making landfall north of Nicosia and marching to that city. Seeking to out play them, Ari has taken three hundred men and rode out for the southern gates of the city, while sending a message by hawk to his forces on the eastern side of the island, commanding them to besiege the south gates of Nicosia.

Meanwhile, Judean spies scour the island in search of the leaders of the other factions, to either bring them to Ari or to Heaven.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Cyprus... In is anarchy. The Kingdom of Cybelos and Byzantine Bithynia take up arms together to claim the island - not knowing that while they are united, their cypriot allies are not.
Kleithos, the Admiral, and Lord Baldwyn, the Marshall, are still at each others throats, neither of them submitting to the other.

The news of the Judean army taking cities in Cyprus has led to a series of riots against the jewish merchants throughout the countryside, but the majority of the trading towns are happily accepting the Judean rule, as they were already under the rule of the jewish merchants.
The hebrew merchants can keep the townsfolk quiet with their gold, but as soon as their treasuries start to run out, and the Judean army isn't swift enough to take all of the many towns, christian and muslim peasants and townsmen band together and commit arson and various crimes, such as robberies, murder.

Bishop Paulus, has sent a letter to Rome to plead for aid, calling for a Holy Crusade to save Cyprus from the jewish heathens and those following the false eastern faith. His hopes of Romaniium claiming Cyprus are fading, and now he is willing to submit to any western catholic lord...
As there is no answer from Calabria, Reginald, now Duke, holds on to his last fort, Nicosia, with much feriocity. He, and Bishop Paulus have formed an alliance of some short, both calling out to the West, mostly Calabria, to intervene... However, a letter has been sent to the mongolic hordes of Azaq, asking the nomadic riders to attack and plunder Thracia, to force the Byzantine-Cybelosian army to pull back from Cyprus.

Meanwhile, the Old Duke has been buried. The tears shed at his funeral were true and honest, because even though the island has buried a mad ruler, he was a ruler who kept Cyprus away from the anarchy and chaos that is now present...
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:12 am

Ari ben Yitzchak ben Yehudah

Ari and his cohorts arrived at the camp of his eastern army, now established beyond an arrow’s shot of the southern gate of Nicosia.

“My Prince,” called the commander.  “We have besieged the city gates, as you have ordered.  I have begun the construction of engines.  By tomorrow's end we will be ready to batter down the gates, if that is your wish.”

“Excellent, but I would yet prevent unnecessary bloodshed.  Raise a truce flag!  We ride to the gates!”  Ari spurred his horse and raised his horn to his lips.  He gave several mighty blows of it as he and a handful of his bodyguard rode forth.

“Do we have a stratagem for this parley, your highness?” asked one of his lieutenants.

“I am my father’s marshal.  I always have a stratagem.

He arrived within shouting distance of the gate and craned his head up to the waiting guards.  “We would speak with the master of this city, Reginald of Cyprus!”

“And what would you say to him?” called back a man whose armor shined far prettier than any of the other guards.

“I would say that I wish that I come to save him and Cyprus.  That I have a proposal that I would have him hear.”

“And what is this proposal, Your Highness?”

“I am but a captain of soldiers and have little thought for politics, but it seems to me that the son of the late Doux and my fathered have both erred.  The son sought out allies from far across the waters to press his claim, even expressing a willingness to vassalization.  The father sought to end the anarchies and secure safety for his people.  Why should such goals be different?  Let the son be Doux of Cyprus, his claim enforced by the arm of his dear ally and liege, the father who is King of Judeans.  A force who would press the claim of a long dead office based on the ravings of beloved but maddened man marches to your city.  When they arrive to press it, let them be greeted by banners of blue and gold, of lions and of starred crescents.  And they shall know that you are Doux and my father is King.”

Menachem

The Judean diplomat had travelled far to arrive in the court of the Khan Ganbaatar.  His master, Benyamin ben Yitchak ben Yehudah, Crown Prince and Chancellor of Judea, had bid him to come to this court and treat with the Great Khan on behalf of his king.

The Khan’s soldiers had wasted no time in bringing him to their lord.  Menachem bowed low and spoke.

“Oh Great Khan, I come as messenger from the King of Judeans.  My king asks to hire a force of five thousand of your horsemen, to immediately depart for his realm.  He asks further that though your hatred of the sect is widely known, you would decline to raid the Bogumils for a time until the Greeks no longer vie for Cyprus.”  Menachem drew closer to the Khan.  “If there is need of raiding, might I suggest that perhaps you might find ample raiding lands in Romaniium, and that your men might find purple tunics to their liking.”  Menachem smiled pleasantly as he parroted the words the king's spymaster had told him before he had left Jerusalem.

Last edited by House of Judah on Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:52 am; edited 3 times in total
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:40 am

A letter from Archduke Saverio II, from his bedchambers in Rome

Reginald,

I apologize that this may not reach you in the time that you wish it to. You may be waiting on my response to add to the weights you must measure. In fact, by the time you are reading this I very well may be dead. There is little time for me left, and I regret I cannot travel to Scaddedio in my current condition. My son Matteo, current Duke of Castelliano is there now, holding court in my absense. Your situation, he deemed, was serious enough to warrant his sickly father's attention.

This is the current state in which Calabria exists: unsure the day or hour of my last breath. Where there are questions, there is instability. Where there is instability, there can be no war. At this time Calabria can not come to your aide. We can not commit our navy, or a remainder of our soldiers, to a long, drawn out battle. We intend to keep the peace of the Mediterranean, not encourage it's demise.

Your father was a friend of mine until a few years ago when his mind started to go and it is solely because of your father that I have even entertained more than a thought on this matter. I truly hope God will provide you with the answers you seek. If he does not provide answers, he provides Himself, for He is our Sheild and our Buckler.

You are always welcome in Scaddedio, should you need a haven.

Archduke Saverio II, Rome
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Admiral Kleithos of Cyprus,

With events in Cyprus coming to a close, I and my superiors would like to commend you and your men on your work, most impressive.
We would be honored to have you and your men join the Cybelosian Navy officially. I have been authorised to offer your men one year's salary up front if you choose to accept.
As for yourself, Kleithos, it is my honor to offer to you the position of Master of the Attica Navy, overseeing all naval affairs in Attica, you will also be granted one year's salary up front along with an estate in Athens.

I look forward to working together,
Captain Eleftherios of the Southern Aegean Navy

Last edited by Cybelos on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:04 pm

To: General Pleios Andronikos of the Greek military force in Cyprus

Greetings General, as per recent agreements you are to to assist the Judean forces in Cyprus. This may be quite different from our original plans, and it may seem a strange order, but it will work out. After Cyprus is secured we shall send further orders.

Godspeed,

King Varius Corvinus

Upon receiving this news the General was unsure, he didn't see how this could fit with past plans, but he carried out the order non the less.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Kleithos the Greek has instantly agreed to the terms presented by Cybelos without hesitation. The navy of Cyprus has joined Cybelos, and left the islands borders defenseless against further Judean landings.

Baldwyn has joined the Byzantine forces with his 1000 men, the rest, however, under Duke Reginald, still hold Nicosia. The army of Baldwyn is hesitating to aid the Judean forces, and the Marshal has sent a letter asking the reason for such a move, though, he is completing the order as much as he can get his men to do it.

Bishop Paulus has gone to the streets of Nicosia in order to rally the people against Jewish rule, though Reginald is strongly considering it. The Duke has asked the jewish army a couple of days to consider their demand, and has set his terms as well:
- The Duchy of Cyprus shall be ruled by the descendants of Duke Reginald, and his dynasty shall not be stripped from right to rule.
- Nobody shall force the Cypriots to convert to any religion they choose.
- Governing over Cyprus can be done through the Duke of Cyprus only, and not avoiding him in any way, be it a military advisor, a steward, governor, etc.
- The Duke of Cyprus shall not be burdened with extraordinary taxes compared to the other vassals of the Judean King.

The Judean and Greco-Byzantine lines grew closer to each other every second, and only Nicosia remains under Cypriot rule. For how long, it is still unknown...
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azaq Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:32 pm

House of Judah wrote:Menachem

The Judean diplomat had travelled far to arrive in the court of the Khan Ganbaatar.  His master, Benyamin ben Yitchak ben Yehudah, Crown Prince and Chancellor of Judea, had bid him to come to this court and treat with the Great Khan on behalf of his king.

The Khan’s soldiers had wasted no time in bringing him to their lord.  Menachem bowed low and spoke.

“Oh Great Khan, I come as messenger from the King of Judeans.  My king asks to hire a force of five thousand of your horsemen, to immediately depart for his realm.  He asks further that though your hatred of the sect is widely known, you would decline to raid the Bogumils for a time until the Greeks no longer vie for Cyprus.”  Menachem drew closer to the Khan.  “If there is need of raiding, might I suggest that perhaps you might find ample raiding lands in Romaniium, and that your men might find purple tunics to their liking.”  Menachem smiled pleasantly as he parroted the words the king's spymaster had told him before he had left Jerusalem.

The Khan listened to the silvered tongue of the Hebrew that stood before him, taking in every word that his aid translated. He was no fool, and took into consideration everything that was said. After a long pause, he looked at the Hebrew and spoke, his translator doing his duty.

"You wish to have me send you my men to take that island that you vie for, and at the same time want the rest of my forces to raid the lands of the Latin Romans under the guise of Greek Roman cavalry."

The Khan thought for a moment, then leaned forward on his throne.

"You shall have your men, and the Latin Romans shall die by our blades... but I trust you do not expect me to do this out of the kindness of my heart, for I have coffers to fill, and I can raid Romaniium anytime I wish, for the Bogomils in the lands between us stand no chance against my armies. I will agree to your deal, but only if you have some sort of payment on you. If you do not, then you will return to your king and you will stay with him until you have something of value that can serve as motivation for me to accept this deal."

The Khan leaned back and smiled.

"But, surely you did not come to my lands and wish to make deals empty-handed? I imagine your liege is smarter than that - at least I hope so."
Azaq
Azaq

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:44 pm

“The terms are agreeable, your grace. Open the gates to your city, and we shall ensure your just rule.” A horseman rode forth from the camp and whispered in Ari’s ear. A smile spread on his face. “Diplomacy occurs above our heads, it seems,” he commented to one of his officers. “If my father has made an agreement with the Greeks, then let him know the means in which the island will fall fully into his lap. There will be but one obstacle in remaining, the Priest Paulus. He must be dealt with, in one way or another.”

Menachem

“My king is no fool. He sends gifts of silver to make purchase of your action, the remainder of which shall be carried by your mercenaries home when they are no longer needed in the lands of my king.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:40 am

General Pleios Andronikos had been coordinating the efforts of the Greek army, when a soldier came into his tent.

"Sir, we've received another message from Constantinople."

Pleios approached the soldier, who handed him the letter.

"We're to cancel current preparations, and hold our position here and await reinforcements and further orders." The Soldiers said, as Pleios read the message.

"Hmm...Well, spread the word around, let everyone know what's going on. Send word to the Marshall as well."

"Yes Sir."

With that the soldier left the tent, and went off to do what he was ordered. Pleios wondered what had caused such a sudden change in action, but figured they just wanted to be more certain of this whole thing ending. Regardless, it wasn't his job to worry about why they wanted this - his job was to do it.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:45 am

Master Kleithos,

The Game for Cyprus 299px-Hand-siphon_for_Greek_fire%2C_medieval_illumination_%28detail%29

I must inform you that your mission in Cyprus has not concluded just yet. We are to have you and your 2000 strong Cypriot navy along with a battalion of 1500 additional soldiers from northern Africa blockade Cyprus. You will meet the N African soldiers at the Karpass peninsula. You and your men must wear the armor provided in the accompanying package, you are to disguise yourselves as Bithynian soldiers, your ships' sails will be painted with Bithynian Chi-Rhos  to mask yourselves, the Northern African ships shall do the same. Do not allow any ships through the blockade, military especially. Mercantile and civilian ships are to be redirected back to their departing port. If any Judean ships try to break the blockade you have permission to use liquid fire on them. The calm waters of the Mediterranean make the liquid fire extremely potent. You shall also be provided with incendiary arrows and Greek fire grenades with accompanying seaborne light catapults. This fire has broken sieges on large cities, simple transport vessels will be no match. All that is needed of you is to keep the nozzles and catapults aimed towards incoming ships. We can manage that, yes?

Only use these weapons if absolutely necessary, we're not looking for a massacre.

As for myself, I am to 'leave' the Isle, and all banners of Cybelos are to be taken with me, this is solely a Bithynian campaign now as far as anyone is concerned.

God be with you,
Captain Eleutherios
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:24 pm

The Game for Cyprus 7f6975fb4a51abc55ea35fe05162cbce
The Walls of Jericho, the Gates of Nicosia

Nicosia has opened his gates to the Judean Forces. The Cross of Cyprus flies along the Judean Lions in the wind, as Duke Reginald has vowed allegiance to the King of Judea.
He remains a vassal, though, but at least he has his beloved island under his own control - as long as he does not go against Judean interest. He will have a few more of jewish advisors in his court, but there will not be much of a change, as the economy was already controlled by the kingdom in the Levant, which is dangerously growing in power. Better join them, if I can't fight them, he thought.

Kleithos did what his commander told him, he joined the blockade in Byzantine colors with his 20 warships. His old rival, Baldwyn, carried out the orders he had with the same thought he did with the Old Mad Duke - obedience.

Bishop Paulus is in fury, he left Nicosia through a secret escape route not even the Duke had knowledge of. He is hiding in the countryside, rallying men against the judean rule. Rumors from villagers say that he is headed towards the Byzantine camps, rather joining the eastern christians than bowing to heathen lords.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azaq Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:35 pm

House of Judah wrote:Menachem

“My king is no fool.  He sends gifts of silver to make purchase of your action, the remainder of which shall be carried by your mercenaries home when they are no longer needed in the lands of my king.”

The Khan smiled.

"Excellent. I will take the silvers, and I trust you will indeed be using my great warriors on the battlefields of Cyprus, yes? To be denied combat is a great waste of their skill, potential, and time, and an insult to me. I do hope they will be put to good use, should they not, well, I will feel sorry for whoever made such a fatal decision, for I would have no control over them in Judea or Cyprus... of course, even if I did, I would not stop them."

The Khan chuckled.

"Let that be but a simple reminder of what they are - warriors. Warriors will fight, one way or another, against one man or another. But enough of this, as you have said your king is no fool and so I'm sure he will make the right decision when it comes to how my brave soldiers will be used. The deal is complete as far as I am concerned, you may return to your king with my men, lead by my brave *noyan, Batbayar."

A Mongol approached the Jew and nodded in his direction, he then turned to the Khan.

"You know what to do Batbayar, do not fail me."

The Mongol commander nodded in acknowledgement.

*Military commander
Azaq
Azaq

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:31 am

“How far to the Greek camp?” asked Ari.

“Not far, your highness. Maybe five miles? A horse could be there and back in less than a half hour.”

“Very well. Send a rider to meet their captain. If I understand the terms my father has arranged, we will need the Doux to… briefly surrender his title. I would have everything aligned before I make such an agreement.”

“He will be sent at once, your highness.”

Judean Horseman
The horseman rode out from the gates of Nicosia and made his way swiftly to the Greek encampment. He slowed his horse to a trot when the camp came in sight and stopped all together at the edge of it.

“I have come at the bidding of Prince Ari ben Yitzchak ben Yehuda and his father’s vassal, the ruler of these lands, Doux Reginald of Cyprus to treat with the captain of this army.”

Michalis
To his very great shame, Michalis’s father was a hellenist, one of the Jews who so greatly identified with and celebrated the Greeks that he attempted to model himself and his sons upon them. Michalis did his best to obey the commandments and honor his father, but it was difficult at the best of times.

But in this task, he had finally found purpose. His hellenist father had taught much of the Greek ways, which allowed him to seamlessly blend in with the Cypriot public. And now it found him in the followers camp of the rogue priest Paulus. It would soon be time for the party to break for lunch before continuing to the Greek army camp.

He had volunteered to help prepare food for the bishop and his leading cohorts. An ample opportunity to see murder done.

Judean Navy
“Captain, look at that!” The commander of the Judean ship came to the side the see what the lookout called his attention to.

“Byzantine ships? They form a blockade along this side of the island. Why? I had thought the King had already formed his agreement with Byzantium.”

“What are we to do?”

“We tread carefully. Draw near and hail them to learn the cause of their blockade. Keep the ships with larger cohorts away. And prep the jars, in case these Greeks prove unfriendly.”

Menachem

The Judean diplomat took his leave of the Khan’s court to await the readiness of his horsemen to travel through Anatolia and come to the aid of the Prince’s armies in Cyprus. He sat in contemplation as he ate his evening repast. He did not think it treason to add requests to the Azaq that his king had not made. It was all to serve in ensuring the Prince’s success, as his father had bid the spymaster who had given him the additional order. It was to the King’s glory. He relaxed in his resolution that he had served his king well.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:43 am

"Hail, captain. We are to hold this side of the island until.. our" Kleithos breathed in sharply "Emperor's demands are met. We wait for word that Bithynia has been legitimized as The Roman Empire as the Duke's will commands. Once we receive word, you are free to pass."

"We will hoist our flags when it is all clear."
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:10 am

The Judean horseman was greeted by a group of soldiers who bade him wait. After a couple of minutes, Pleios arrived.

"Greetings, rider. You wished to speak to me? I assume it's about our sudden change of action. We received word from Constantinople to wait, until it was sure that our Emperor is legitimized. We may not be able to remain long after that, but we will assist in what ways we can while we remain."

Pleios paused a second, then said

"I apologize for our lack of communication on the matter, as it has led to this misunderstanding."
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:59 am

[OOC Information: A quick list of who can play what event character:
Kleithos - Cybelos
Baldwyn - Byzantine Bithynia
Barnabas - Judea
Reginald - Varasd
Paulus - Varasd ]

Bishop Paulus:
The Bishop, eyeing everyone who looked foreign, did not suspect the hellenic jew as an enemy, and he was let in the camp. The small camp of around 30 people, was getting ready to have lunch, before which Paulus has prepared everything for a mass. He went into his tent with two of his helpers, to get his garments ready.

Duke Reginald:
The Duke sat nervously on his throne... Had he made the right choice? There was no turning back now. Kleithos and Baldwyn sided with the greeks, and if they were to stay, he would have to face treason and intrigue every day. It was better with the jews, especially now that they approved his terms. A little more tax won't hurt the people, and at least he can remain the ruler of his island.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:39 am

Judean Navy

“Understood.  That said, even the calm waters of the Mediterranean can turn to storm, and my stores are not limitless.  We will need to put to port eventually.  What is to happen if we must do so before your messenger arrives?”

Judean Horseman

“Send word then to your master that he will have his legitimization, but we shall also need his renunciation over the island and recognition of the rightness of Reginald’s inheritance.  The letters to the effect of his recognition are being drafted, and shall soon be sealed.  My prince proposes to have them exchanged at the gates of Nicosia, so that all may see the rightness of the deed.  In between times, my prince invites the Greek captain and his closest commanders to Nicosia to enjoy in the Doux’s and King’s hospitality of his Greecian friends.”

Michalis

Michalis toiled calmly over the fire, ensuring that the pork yahni was prepared properly.  He had selected the dish to best put the priest at ease, for who should expect a Judean of one who prepared a Greek stew with pork?  The arrogance of some, to assume that a Jew might violate one of the most important of the Mosaic laws and yet to not consume the flesh of a pig.

Michalis stirred the pot with the ladle in his right hand and palmed the vial of aconite in his left.  When the time came, he would pour the contents of the vial into the bowl meant for Bishop Paulus before covering it in the stew.  As the priest ate, he would mix the poison into his food, hiding the evidence of his undoing as he consumed.

“Stand at ease, your grace,” the prince said to Doux Reginald.  “This crisis is almost at an end.  My father has arranged things diplomatically with Byzantium.  The writ my scribe is working on right now will detail your recognition of Varius Corvinus as the Emperor of Romans called out in your father’s will, to be presented to the Greek commander when they present us with Varius’s renunciation of claim to the island.  If there is an attempt at double cross, we have more than sufficient force to crush the army they have here.  As soon as this business is done, you will come with me to Jerusalem where you will swear your fealty to my father  You’ve made the right choice, so relax and have some wine while we await the Greek response.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:12 am

"Trust me, captain." Kleithos raised his arm into the air "Look above, the birds still fly high, squawking nosily. No storm is coming, believe me, Judean. We would have encamped on the peninsula if it were so, there would be no need of a blockade. You won't find any particularly nasty storms around here anyway, not one that an experienced sailor can't handle, that is."

"If you absolutely need to port, you will need to return from whence you came, send the lighter ships to gather supplies. I don't believe this will last much longer, however. Once we receive a messenger, we will fall back. It would take two hours at most to cross the island from one end to the next on horseback. I trust you will not go through all of your supplies. We await the Bithynian General's word."
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:43 am

"I shall send word, and you shall get what you want. I must, however, respectfully decline the offer of hospitality. Perhaps some of my lieutenants will attend, but I've never been one to enjoy such things."

With that Pleios nodded to the horseman, and returned to his tent. He wrote to Constantinople, to inform them that things were proceeding. Two of the lieutenants of the Greek forces would attend the event in Nicosia, though Pleios would not.

Later, Pleios received a response to his letter. It had attached the letter which would acknowledge Reginald as the rightful heir. The letter read as follows.

"With approval from the Council of Constantinople, the Senate of Constantinople, the Themata Governors, and the Council of Generals, the Duchy of Cyprus is recognized as rightfully inherited by Reginald, son of the late duke, on condition that Emperor Varius of House Corvinus is legitimized as the Emperor of the Roman Empire, and that Constantinople be acknowledged as its Capital. When this has been done the Roman Empire shall recognize Reginald as rightful heir of Cyprus. This agreement shall be signed between General Pleios Andronikos, representing Bithynia, and whoever is to represent Cyprus.

Singed,

Kaesus Draco, Publius Andronikos, Horatia Acacius, Servius Tychon, Tiberius Phillippus, Iason Sophus, Varius Corvinus, Herodes Corvinus."

Within a short time, Pleios and a small group of soldiers and scribes would make way to the gates of Nicosia to finalize the agreement.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:12 am

Count Reginald was notified about the proposal of the Byzantines. He shrugged after he heard of it all.
"Well, this seems better than anything so far. Of course I'll recognize him! I'll recognize him as the Pope himself, I'll call him Caesar if he leaves me alone! "

Reginald remained silent, and thought around the situation for a while.

"We'll be a vassal of the Judeans. They'll protect us if the Byzantines want to claim the island later on. I'll sign it. "
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:03 pm

Michalis

The service was at an end and Michalis was serving out the stew.  Bowl after bowl, he served out the stew until finally it was time for the bishop.  He picked up the bowl and turned to the pot.  With practiced precision, he opened the vial of aconite and poured it into the bowl before re-shutting it and sliding it back into his sleeve.  Then, as though nothing happened, he spooned out a ladle-full and poured the stew over the tincture.  Michalis brought the bowl before the priest, smiled and bowed his head before setting it down before Bishop Paulus.

Ari sat on his horse at the gates of Nicosia along with Doux Reginals, awaiting the arrival of the Byzantine emissaries.  He watched the horsemen with purple banners ride close to the gates.  He recognized from his own rider’s description their leader, General Pleios Andronikos.  As they drew near, he and his party rode forward to greet them.

“General Pleios,” he said as he drew his horse up beside the Greek.  He pulled out a scroll from his quiver, unrolled it and presented it to the general.

To all whom these presents come, know that the Emperor of Romans lives in the personage of Varius of Corvinus and his heirs, and is in residence in the New Rome, Constantinople.

Reginald I
Doux of Cyprus

“I trust it meets with the general’s approval,” Ari said.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:29 pm

General Pleios Andronikos looked over the scroll carefully. It was short, but he had learned that it is always best to be mindful with things like this.

"It does." He said, quite simply.

He then gave Ari the Bithynian letter, affirming the island to be under the rule of Reginald.

"Well," Pleios said "We have agreement. I wish you the best of luck in securing the rest of the island, I would assist, however, we must return home. Farewell."

With that Pleios and his company headed back to their camp. He ordered the men to prepare to disembark for the return journey. He also sent out a messenger to the blockade, so that they may know the agreement was decided upon, and that they can break the blockade. After their preparations were complete, the Greek army boarded their ships, and set sail for Bithynia. After a journey through the seas, they would arrive in friendly lands once more. The Game for Cyprus was done, at least for the Greeks.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next