The Lion's Court

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Lion's Court

Post by Grand Auvergne on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Claude Septiman :

The merchant bowed before answering : "Very much so you Highness. My agents and us shall not disturb you with this matter for now, and we will see with your Chief Steward for the details. But before leaving your august presence, we must say : the rumours within our ports of your wisdom are but a pale reflection of your true spirit and intellect. Be assured of the Guild friendship and gratitude and that your House shall always find supports within our ranks."
Grand Auvergne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahammad on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:33 am

Gates of Jerusalem, Judah
Adil Farah and his caravans had been travelling through the Middle East for many days. Sent by the Sultan of Bahammad, Adil was tasked with initiating diplomatic relations with Judah as well as creating a possible trade agreement that will give merchants from Bahammad access to the Mediterranean trade routes.

When the Gates of Jerusalem came to view, Adil's 35-man party let out sighs of relief. The rough journey was finally over. When they were within range of the towers, Adil and his right-hand man Hafiz El Sayed approached the gates with a flag in hand. The caravans halted and the guards remained in formation. Adil hailed the guards, saying phrases in Arabic, Latin and Greek, hoping that one of the guards would understand what he was saying.

Bahammad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Captain of the Watch

The guard captain stood on the wall above the gate and watched those coming and going from kingdom's capital. Mostly they were merchants, though a few pilgrims could always be found coming and going. Most pilgrims were Jews, though Christians also made a strong showing. Moslems could also be found, though in far fewer number than other Abrahamic faiths. The holy site they would visit within the city, the Foundation Stone from which supposedly their prophet Mohammad ascended to Heaven, was forbidden to all save those involved in sacrificial rites at the Temple.

One of the spotters called his attention to a party approaching the gate. The captain made a quick count and guessed just less than two score men. They carried a Mohammadan banner, which meant they were unlikely to be traders. They did not wear the white robes of a Moslem on pilgrimage, which meant their arrival was not a religious one. The city was far too well manned to be sieged by so small a party, and the party was far too blatant to be looking to raid. All together, this was like to be a curiosity that would surely be a headache for someone above him eventually, but for now he would be the one to deal with it. He made his way down from top of the wall to beside the gate guards beyond the wall and awaited their greeting.

"I can speak to you in Arabic. Pray tell, what brings emissaries from the court of the Bahammad Sultan to Jerusalem?"
House of Judah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahammad on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:24 am

Jerusalem
Adil was happy to see that he could converse with the man in his native tongue. He gave a friendly smile and cleared his throat.

"Peace be upon you. I am Adil Farah, and all of the men behind me are my companions. The great Sultan of Bahammad has sent me here to establish relations with your Kingdom, and, should your King accept, establish a mutual trade agreement as well.

We come bearing luxurious gifts, and they are all from the Sultan. He wishes for them to be handed to your King as a sign of goodwill and kindness. May we enter?
"
Bahammad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Captain of the Watch

"I am sure his majesty will be keen to receive you." He called over one of his men and issued an order. "My man will guide you to David's Citadel and the royal court. As Bahammadi entered the gates of the city, the Captain turned to another of his men and quickly ordered him to alert the citadel of coming emissaries.

King Yitzchak ben Benyamin ben Yehudah

Inscribe in large Hebrew lettering over the door of the citadel's great hall, and in smaller letters underneath and on either side of the door in Arabic, Latin and Greek, were the words:

KNOW BEFORE WHOM YOU STAND

The same words adorned the arks of the various synagogues, though there they served as a reminder that they stood before God when they were called to the Torah. Here the meaning could be less certain. Was one expected to be reminded that they were to stand before the single most powerful man in the realm? That the man was anointed by God himself to rule over this land and these people? Perhaps that even when they stood before a throne and addressed a man, (of power, surely, but still only a man) they still stood before God? Maybe it was simple hubris, men placing themselves above others as God is above all other? The meaning intended when Yehudah II ordered the inscription had been debated now for two generations, and the man himself had remained opaque in his purpose.

"Presenting Adil Farah, Emissary from the court of Fayiz Abd Al-Rahman El-Aziz, Sultan of Bahammad," called the herald.

"We welcome you, emissary of the court in Baghdad," said King Yitzchak.
House of Judah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top