Medieval Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sǣxenland Situation

3 posters

Go down

The Sǣxenland Situation  Empty The Sǣxenland Situation

Post by Sǣxenland Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Sǣxenland wrote:The humble priest had travelled a long way to get to where he was. The priest had crossed the unpredictable channel. He had fondly hurried through the exquisite Béziquienne countryside. Then with great haste he went through Montresque. The freezing alps did not deter him. He had braved the warring Italian north until he had reached the ultimate sanctuary in Rome. He had come from a small church on the southern coast of Sǣxenland - the only Christian mission in that land. Specifically come from the Catholic mission in Dæþscīre in the Undercyningan of Wēssǣxenní. After talking to some of the officials in the courtyard about his predicament he was brought into a chamber, with elaborate golden façades and ornamentation. In their where the leaders of Christendom. The imperious looking Pope, clad in white. And Cardinals were all clad in red, true to their name. They were all redoubtable, eminent and holy. The priest began.

"I am sorry to interrupt your holy deliberations, my lords, but I am under duress for my flock is under current threat. My name is Émile Grôussard and I am originally from Normandy. In the beautiful French Duchy I joined the priesthood so I could serve God and the Saviour. I have been fascinated with the idea of converting Sǣxenns who inhabit that wild and misty kingdom to the north ever since I endured a raid on the town where I was stationed. I knew these raiders where good men but where deceived by the devil and his agents, the false god Woden, Frēj, Thunor, Tiw and other demons. So I lead a group Of missionaries beyond the Channel into the dark, misty and wild Sǣxenlands where we have found few but loyal converts. Recently, there has been a power shift in Sǣxenland which is not in our favour. The previous King Ælþedric Ælþedricsson who was tolerant of our faith has died. And in his place his preferred successor, his son of the same name, has been killed and replaced by the powerful noble Beowulf Goðwinsson. Now the son of Ælþedric was very pro-Christian, having converted to our faith while in exile in Normandy. Now the new King Beowulf has issued the following command:

Should a man forsake the gods for the words of the wretched missionaries let his countrymen capture him, so his Sheriff may pronounce judgement, and should the guilty unbelievers drown in the channel from whence the words of the Christians came, let his possessions be shared among them the country he betrayed, and his wife and children, should they renounce their faith be sparred and sent to Francia, should they keep their deceitful faith they should be sold to the the highest bidder;

As you can see my flock is in danger. As I left they had already gone into hiding, anticipating the actions of the new king. I beg for help from the Christian word in assisting us against these heathens."

Cybelos wrote:Dire news indeed. How many faithful in the Saexenlands would you say? And how many men strong is this Godwinsson?

*The cardinal signals his aide to bring the weary priest a cup of barley tea, and continues:

As for assistance, I cannot speak for my king, you understand, but if his holiness wills it perhaps we could formally assemble an army of devout men.

In  any case I wish you luck in the utmost, truly.

"Goðwinsson is strong, as he as confiscated the Underrælms of the major supporters of the previous dynasty. One thing you must understand about these people is that they have a few superb warriors and the rest are all peasants. I cannot estimate the number of men he has for the Sǣxenns do not count their people. But there are some nobles I know would rejoice at seeing a great and glorious Christian Army save them from Goðwinsson and the heathens. For the number of faithful all I can say is about 500 that I know of and possibly any more scattered throughout. Should they see the might I the armies of Christ they would undoubtably chop down their sacred oaks immediately."
Sǣxenland
Sǣxenland

Back to top Go down

The Sǣxenland Situation  Empty Re: The Sǣxenland Situation

Post by Varasd Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:26 pm

"The Saexenland situation" is now open for discussion for the Holy See. The discussion and voting shall last for 7 days; Cardinals must voice their votes clearly be it in favour, against, or abstaining.

His Holiness the Pope is fully in favour of organising a Christian army to liberate Britannia from the heathens. We support this motion, as the pagans have unlawfully conquered the lands in which they spread their idol worship, and have demolished many Christian churches. It is time that Christianity reclaims Britannia for the True Faith.

Therefore, his Holiness, the Pope, supports the motion of a Holy Crusade, in order to reclaim Britannia from the heathens, and restore Peace and Christian Faith. If the College of Cardinals approves, the Pope shall openly porclaim the First Crusade against Britannia.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:26 am

Before I vote, I've questions for our guest, Grôussard of Normandy,

Firstly being, could we convince the peoples living in the surrounding areas of the Saexenlands to fight in exchange for citizenship, or silver perhaps?

Secondly, we would need to know the most heavily guarded areas of the Saexenlands by this Godwinsson's troops.
My king writes me saying "taking an easily conquerable port city would be paramount to our getting a foothold on these strange lands."

Finally, thirdly, we need to know, would all able men of these 500 you have described be willing to fight, and possibly die for their faith, and their future?

I know these questions must be difficult for a priest, so if you've any allies in the Saexenlands and need to write them, we've Cybelosian ships in the Mediterranean destined for Juttlande, I could dispatch a ship to meet with them, and have them carry a letter for you.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Due to the nation of Saexenland CTE'd/left the region, this thread is now locked.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down